Author Topic: Death Record 1792  (Read 606 times)

Offline crankyannie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Death Record 1792
« on: Monday 09 November 20 03:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Can anyone tell me what "C.W.H. Coffin" following the deceased's name might mean on a death record? (There are no other details eg age or Place of Internment.)
Thanks, Heather
Any Census information I cite has Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
CURRIE Arran; WILSON Ayr; CHALMERS Dunbarton; DUNCAN Midlothian & Bute; BRUNTON & SIMPSON Lanark; BAINBRIDGE Cumberland; HETHERINGTON...; HOSKING MILLS EDWARDS & FRAIN Devon; SMITH Stratford Essex & Deptford Kent; DIXON...; ADAMS & CLOAD Devon

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Death Record 1792
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 November 20 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Could you post a clip of the original? Which parish is it? Are there others on the same page similarly annotated?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline crankyannie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 November 20 05:10 GMT (UK) »
Not sure about a clip [??]. It just says Alexander Drysdale CWH Coffin. And since I posted this question I'm not sure it's who I'm looking for anyway. In 1809 John Wood married Ann Drysdale "Daughter of the late Dr Drysdale of the Island of Tobago". I came across this death for Alexander Drysdale in scotlandspeople and thought the notation might mean that his body was brought back from Tobago. But then I found there was a Robert Drysdale in the Jamaican Gazette, known as Dr Drysdale, who died a month earlier than the marriage of Ann Drysdale and John Wood. Ann was born in 1788, and there were two Alexanders and a Robert who have Anns born that year, so I'm thinkig now that her father was Robert, not Alexander...But thanks for querying it.
Cheers, Heather
Any Census information I cite has Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
CURRIE Arran; WILSON Ayr; CHALMERS Dunbarton; DUNCAN Midlothian & Bute; BRUNTON & SIMPSON Lanark; BAINBRIDGE Cumberland; HETHERINGTON...; HOSKING MILLS EDWARDS & FRAIN Devon; SMITH Stratford Essex & Deptford Kent; DIXON...; ADAMS & CLOAD Devon

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 November 20 09:45 GMT (UK) »
I don't think there is the remotest possibility that a dead body would have been brought from Tobago to Scotland in 1809. Anyone who died in Tobago would have been buried there, and as soon as possible.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 November 20 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Not sure about a clip [??]. 

I know you no longer really need to do this, but for future reference, you can take a little 'clip' of anything you have up on your computer screen.
If you're using Apple, the little program is called "Grab', and on Microsoft "Snipping tool'.
These allow you to pick the piece of the screen in question - for example, the burial of the person with those initials you were interested in. Then you can save the little snip, and then attach it to a post here on Rootschat. Lots of people do that for problems with names, places, wills, documents etc. It's a very useful little tool.  :)
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs