Author Topic: McMin/Mackmin  (Read 2722 times)

Offline smithkei

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McMin/Mackmin
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 21 December 22 15:24 GMT (UK) »
The marriage was in London

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 21 December 22 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Elwyn

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 21 December 22 18:00 GMT (UK) »
You could also start recently and work backwards.   There was a gangly fellow called ' the Tin Man' who played football for Glasgow Rangers, and others.   He was Ted McMinn and I believe he was from south of Scotland around Dumfries.
Happy Hunting, Xmas & New Year, cheers, Ian

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_McMinn

so born in Castle Douglas, just down the road from Maybole, eh! ?
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline smithkei

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 21 December 22 18:21 GMT (UK) »
That’s wonderful. I got bored with my ancestor as the Tin Man sounds much more interesting. He played for Sevilla

Harry Pearson of The Guardian newspaper wrote an article following the transfer of Reyes to Arsenal in February 2004 on the Scottish influences in Seville.  Wallace is still revered in Seville. McMinn, though, is worshipped. "The Sevillans say: 'Jock taught us; Ted inspired us,'" a Spanish journalist observes. "With his inelegant Tin Man running style, erratic crossing and unquenchable zest for lager, he was the soul of football. In Seville we have a saying: Without the pig there is no sh*t. Without the sh*t there is no tree. Without the tree there are no nuts and without the nuts there is nothing. Fans of Sevilla still argue over whether McMinn was pig, sh*t or nuts, but to me he was all three. And now José Antonio Reyes has reaped his rich harvest." 😂

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 21 December 22 18:42 GMT (UK) »
I doubt anyone in those days would move from London to Maybole, Ayrshire. More likely the other way.

What I meant is that John might have been born in Kirkcudbrightshire or Dumfriesshire, where there are numerous 18th century McMinns, and the family later moved to Maybole.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 21 December 22 19:00 GMT (UK) »
I remember watching him playing footie ... he looked like he had just been born with legs too long for his body and verra likely to fall over with each step ... unique, guys like Messi, Maradona, Mbappe and Georgie Best could shoogle their way around defenders but with McMinn nobody knew which direction he was going to go ... least of all him,
cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.