Author Topic: Marriage of William Innes and McDonald  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Dufftown

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage of William Innes and McDonald
« on: Monday 09 November 20 16:49 GMT (UK) »
According to the IGI they were married in Inveravon Banff Scotland. between 1740-1744 yet there were no siblings shown. I agree with this finding. 
I have been able to confirm that they had five children. Alexander Innes was a Chelsie Pensionner who married a Stewart Lady, In the death extract for Alexander Innes it shows that his parents were William Innes and a McDonald lady.
If you wish I can give you more accurate information.
The marriage of William Innes and McDonald is also shown in the Aberdeen list and it shows the same details as I found.

William Innes in Montreal

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of William Innes and McDonald
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 November 20 22:09 GMT (UK) »
I can see a marriage between William Innes and Elizabeth McDonald in Inveravon but it's on 13th September 1770  so is undoubtedly William junior.
If you say that the father's marriage was 'between 1740-1744', does this mean that you haven't actually found it? 
Bev
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

Offline Dufftown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 November 20 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to disappoint you but the marriage was in 1740. Since there were no children registered I give you the death of Alexander Innes on the 12 Feb.1861. This will give you the proper info. This confirms that Alexander was the son of William Innes and Elizabeth McDonald.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 November 20 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Alexander Innes who died 12 Feb 1861 was 87 years old. Therefore he was born about 1774. That fits with the 1770 marriage of his parents (William and Elizabeth McDonald), as already posted by bevj.
Here is the information to which you refer from the IGI. I suggest you review your dates.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XT2B-QJZ
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Dufftown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 November 20 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neil1961 and Bevy.
In the Aberdeen list, shown in their marriage list,  a marriage between William Innes and Elizabeth McDonald in 1740 in Inveravon.
I agree with you on the following facts:
1) According to the IGI ( FamilySearch ) They do show the marriage of William Innes and Elizabeth McDonald in 1740.
2) The IGI ( FamilySearch ) does not show that there were any siblings in the marriage of William Innes and Elizabeth McDonald.
THIS IS WHERE WE DO AGREE.

I mentioned Alexander Innes. I say that this Alexander Innes was born about 1774 based on the date of his death. I agree with you.
In my next reply I will give you more details on Alexander Innes and his family.
William in Montreal

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 November 20 14:19 GMT (UK) »
If you look at the index on ScotlandsPeople, there are only two marriages of people called William Innes in 1740:

William Innes and Christian Burnet, Aberdour 1-11-1740

William Innes and Isobel Shand, Aberlour 24-7-1740

These are the only surviving records of the marriage of a William Innes in Scotland in 1740.

Offline Dufftown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 November 20 15:28 GMT (UK) »
In the Aberdeen list, shown in its IGI marriages the name of William Innes and Elizabeth McDonald is shown. This is what I am referring about.
Alexander Innes, died 12 Feb.1861 at Brige of Nevie in Glenlivet, Inveravon, Banff, Scotland married on the 3rd Nov.1818 Elizabeth Stewart. She died 9th Nov.1875, in Laggan, Glenlivet, Inveravon.
Alexander Innes and Elizabeth Stewart had  children. William b.1819, Janet b.1821, Alexander b.1823, Peter b.1825, John 1827, James 1830.
Since  Alexander Innes, father, died in 1861 this made his date of birth to be about1774.
Alexander  Innes date of birth to be about 1774. WE AGREE ON THIS APPROXIMATE DATE OF BIRTH.

Offline Dufftown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 November 20 15:50 GMT (UK) »
I am attaching a copy of the marriage extract for the marriage of William innes and Elizabeth McDonald. Where it says: both of this parish refers to INVERAVON.

William in Montral

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 November 20 16:28 GMT (UK) »
So Alexander Innes who died in 1861 was born about 1774 to William Innes and Elizabeth McDonald. It is likely that the William Innes and Elizabeth McDonald married in Inveravon in 1770 were his parents as the names are right and he died in Inveravon. The 1851 census should confirm that he was born there.

The next step would be to look at the index for Scotland's People to identify Inness marriages and baptisms and see if anything can be found to help pinpoint the origins of William's parents.

I note that there are three marriages of a William Innes in Inveravon within a fairly short period:

William Innes married Margaret Moir 4-8-1767

William Innes married Elizabeth McDonald 13-9-1770

William Innes married Anne Davidson 23-12-1777

They could be three different people or all the same man.