Author Topic: Any ideas which school late sister may have attended?  (Read 1289 times)

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Any ideas which school late sister may have attended?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 15 November 20 07:31 GMT (UK) »
Her being a Catholic may have affected where she went to school.

My mother moved from a town to a pit village in about 1930.  It was thought a Catholic education was so important that she boarded at a convent in the town to continue going to the RC school.  She was only about 6 years old and they certainly didn't have any money.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Any ideas which school late sister may have attended?
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 15 November 20 08:10 GMT (UK) »
That is true, but although all my siblings went to a Catholic school in this area they sent me to a C of E school. (I am 22 years younger than sister though so big age gap) My Mother was C of E.  Dad was Catholic.  Eliza only became Catholic when she married my Grandfather's cousin James McKittrick (various spellings).  I am not sure if Eliza would have kept her Catholic religion  up after James' death although her daughter Louisa (who married my staunch Catholic Grandfather)  was originally  baptised CoE, remained a staunch Catholic to her end after becoming James's step daughter. 
I think there may have been a chance that my Mother might have just sent my sister to the nearest school  and my Dad wasn't a very committed Catholic so I don't think he would have particularly minded.  A priest had refused to come out to give his Father the last rites and this greatly upset my Dad and things had gradually gone downhill from that point.  I know this is a bit longwinded but I think it is unclear which type of school my sister might have gone to.  I suspect though, knowing my Mam, if any Catholic school was more than a mile away this would have ruled things out straightaway and I think she would have opted for a C of E school.  Also, if Eliza was no longer a Catholic there may not have been any pressure from her about it. I wish I had asked them more questions about the 'Yorkshire school' when I had had the chance. 
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner