Author Topic: Black Tombstones outside Stirling Castle  (Read 2018 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Black Tombstones outside Stirling Castle
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 November 20 16:22 GMT (UK) »
I knew Anne had died but I didn't know that it was she who was behind Memento Mori. :(
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 November 20 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Oh my...I haven't chatted with Anne for a little while. I did not know this news. I knew she had some issues in the past re her health. She laughed it off saying the only annoying thing was that she couldn't continue always with the passion she had for stomping over cemeteries!

She had such a phenomenal energy for the recording of gravestones. Her work also re Scottish military graves was also outstanding. She used to make me giggle with stories of clambering over gates and hedges to get in to a number of sites.

http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/warmemscot-ntopic6426.html

News had make me sad for her family and friends, Robneve. I understand this happened last year. I have been head down with my parents in recent times and not really taking much in really.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 November 20 16:34 GMT (UK) »
I knew Anne had died but I didn't know that it was she who was behind Memento Mori. :(

She was so excited about putting together the info she had recorded over many years and creating her website memento-mori. The fee she charged was really to cover costs. Often here on RC she would correspond with other who had queries via PMs and provide them with photos and info for free.

Monica

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 November 20 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Very sad loss!

Skoosh.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 November 20 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Is there perhaps a connection with nearby Bridge of Allan?
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 11 November 20 06:42 GMT (UK) »
Memento Mori was the first place I tried for this query, and I couldn't  access it either.

Using the Wayback Machine I have been able to get at the list of names transcribed in the Holy Rude Kirkyard, and no Allans are listed. That may mean that MM had not yet done the whole of the kirkyard.

There is also a reference to a list of names in Holyrude Kirk, but that page has not been archived.

I wonder what has happened to Memento Mori?

The Holyrude Church (Kirk) page url shows up as pointing to a download http://www.memento-mori.co.uk/68.pdf .
That would not be archived and unless the beneficiaries of Anne Anderson's will have kept the file I am afraid it will be lost.
Perhaps her research has been donated to an archive or family history society.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Lenagh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 12 November 20 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Such sad news to hear that Anne passed away.  She was a fantastic help to many people including myself.  As for her monumental inscriptions – I seem to recall that she put the MI’s into book form and donated it to the Mitchell Library several years ago so all is not lost for anyone able to get to the Mitchell when it reopens.

Lenagh

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 12 November 20 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Why does not surprise me, that Anne would have donated her work to all in this way  :)

Thanks for updating with this info here, Lenagh.

Monica

Offline Robneve

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 12 November 20 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Monica,
She did tons of research for a war memorial for the Town of Camelon. When it was done, she was offered payment by the local council and she flatly refused.  That memorial is now in place and I think it is excellent.