Author Topic: 1854 Will of William Wright  (Read 555 times)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1854 Will of William Wright
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 November 20 10:48 GMT (UK) »
No trouble. I have recently been (trying!) to do several in my own research, and this one is short in comparison to many!

Here goes:

This is the last Will and Testament of me William Wright of Lorrinton?Storrington? in the county of Bedford schoolmaster which I make and ordain in manner and form following that is to say I give and devise all and singular my messuages tenements lands and hereditaments whether freehold or copyhold and whether in possession inversion ....... or contingency with their and every of their rights members and appurtenances unto my dear wife Martha Wright and her assigns for and on such the term of her natural life she and they paying the interest of any monies which may remain devised? at the time of my decease on the said hereditaments or any of them by way of mortgage or otherwise as the same interest shall become due and also keeping the buildings in tenantable repair and insured against loss or damage by fire and from ..... immediately after the decease of the said Martha Wright I give and devise all and singular the said messuages tenements lands and hereditaments (charges and chargeable with any monies which may remain served thereon by way of mortgage or otherwise as a ....) unto my son William Bell Weight his heirs and assigns for ever Also I give and bequeath all and singular my ready money household furniture stock in .... live and dead farming stock ..... and other debts bills notes bonds  and securities for money stocks funds and Parliamentary securities and all the rest residue and remainder of my goods chattells and personal estate and effects whatsoever subject to the payment of all my just debts except mortgage debts unto my said wife Martha Wright absolutely  to and for her own use and benefit

to be continued !

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 November 20 11:08 GMT (UK) »
And I hereby nominate resolute? and appoint my said wife Martha Wright sole Executrix of this my last Will and Testament and hereby revoking all former and other Wills Codicils and Testamentary dispositions by me at any time theretofore made I do declare this only to be and contain my last Will and Testament In ..... I have hereunto set my hand this ninth day of April in the year of our Lord One thousand eight hundred and forty four  William Wright  Signed by the said testator William Wright as and for the last will and testament in the presence of us both present at the same time and without his request in his presence and in the presence of each other have subscribed our names as witnesses James Tidy? Wesleyan Minister Ampthill Edwd Handsome Solr Ampthill.

On the 14th Dec 1854 Admon with the Will annexed of the goods chattels and credits of William Wright late of Lonnington in the county of Bedford Schoolmaster deceased was granted to William Bell Wright the natural and lawful son and only child of the said deceased having been first ..... to administer Martha Wright the wife of the testator the sole executrix and the residuary legatee named in the said Will having died in his lifetime.

Hope that helps. Words with question marks after them I am not sure of. A series of dots indicates a word I haven't even attempted!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GillianF

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 November 20 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Wow!  Thank you doesn't seem quite enough but "thank you".

I will put your transcription (with credit to you) into a document with the downloaded handwritten version for the family archive which will add some good interest for posterity.

Many thanks!

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 12 November 20 18:33 GMT (UK) »

This is the last Will and Testament of me William Wright of Lorrinton?Storrington?

Could it be Lidlington?  There is mention in an 1855 newspaper of theft on the property of William Bell Wright in the parish of Lidlington, and my (aging) eyes can sort of see that if the ink is faded on the upper part of the third and fourth letters (dl).

Offline GillianF

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 13 November 20 08:07 GMT (UK) »
You are right and it is Lidlington and the family (William and Martha and their son, William Bell Wright) were there and thereabouts for many years.  Can you send me a link or where to find the newspaper article you found please?  It's all useful additions to my family archive which brings people to life and builds a story rather than just bare names and dates.

Thank you.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 13 November 20 08:37 GMT (UK) »
The newspaper is the Luton Weekly Recorder 07 July 1855.  It is part of the British Newspaper collection, which many libraries have a subscription to, and also Findmypast.  There may be other places to access it that I am not aware of.   It is copyright, so I can't post the actual clip.

The article is a listing of trials and sentences. The one of interest says

William Furse, 36, labourer, committed by the Rev. John
William Coventry Campion, for stealing seventy five pounds
weight of cast iron, of the value of one shilling, at the parish of
Lidlington, the property of William Bell Wright, on the 18th of
May, 1855 -- Three months

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 13 November 20 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Trying to fill in some of the gaps in liz's sterling work of the transcription.

at the end of the words in brackets starting 'charges and chargeable........................... otherwise as afore
said)

further down, 'stock in trade..'

'I hereby nominate constitue and appoint.......'

'last will and Testament 'In witness whereof I have here unto set my hand..............'

'having been first sworn duly.........'

Where you have a question mark against 'devised' liz,  in 'monies which may remain devised........'
I think it's 'secured' not 'devised'. It doesn't look the same as the word 'devise' near the top of the will, and 'devised' wouldn't really make sense in this line.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline GillianF

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 13 November 20 08:50 GMT (UK) »
I will hunt down the newspaper article - thank you.

Thank you for the additions to Liz's transcription.