Author Topic: Where is this, and electoral register help please?  (Read 402 times)

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Where is this, and electoral register help please?
« on: Tuesday 10 November 20 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I'm trying to find out about some places from a birth certificate. I'd really appreciate some help as I've got stuck. I've been looking at it for several days. The birth cert is from 1925, reg dist Lambeth, Sub-district of Brixton.

Address 1
The birth occurred at 73 Hinton Road. I found this on a current map, the address is Brixton SE24 0HT.
I would like to know if the address was a mother and baby home in 1925, or a residential address.
I hope to find it on the 1925 electoral register so I can see who was living there, and the streets around. If 1925 register isn't possible for some reason, the closest year before and closest year after would really help.

Address 2
160 Coldharbour Lane appears in the box with the fathers occupation (civil servant) and also the residence of the informant (both the father and mother's name were in the informant box, they were not married).

I searched the electoral registers (only found 1898) and maps and found Cold Harbour Lane in Brixton, Lambeth.
Then I also found a Coldharbour Lane in Thorpe (Did Thorpe house have something to do with Engineering during the war?).
Then looking at a map for Hinton Road I noticed that the area to the west of Hinton Road was named Coldharbour. I don't know which is likely to be the right address from the birth certificate or find number 160 on the electoral register for the 1920's period.

In 1898, the person at 160 Coldharbour Lane was Frances Stevenson (no connection to the 1925 birth cert as far as I know.
Record info: Constituency in full: Parliamentary Borough of Lambeth, Brixton Division
Constituency: P B of Lambeth, Brixton Division
Year: 1898
Season: -
Register type: Parliamentary Borough
Polling district or place: Brixton
County: Surrey, London
Archive: The British Library
Archive reference: SPR.Mic.P.359/BL.L.1
Image number: 137
Record set: England & Wales, electoral registers 1832-1932
Category: Census, land & surveys
Subcategory: Electoral Rolls
Collections from: Great Britain, England

I hope I've been able to explain okay. I want to find who was living at those addresses around 1925. What the addresses were (lodging house, other?).
I've already checked the registers for the names on the birth cert but they don't show up.
Thanks for reading.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where is this, and electoral register help please?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 November 20 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Hopefully the right addresses...
London electoral registers
73 Hinton Road, Herne Hill, Norwood
Beatrice Albenin Pedler
Henry John Pedler
Charles Daniel Ray
73a
Jacob Chadwick

1925 160 Coldharbour Lane, Angell Ward, Brixton 
Herman Munro
Lillian Munro
In 1924 also a Leonard Hinds

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 November 20 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cathy

Thank you so much!  The residents names don't mean anything to me but I expected that might happen. It sounds like the addresses were just normal homes then not any institutions.

With the district information you've given me I hope I'll be able to find the addresses for the some other years too online using Ancestry or Find My Past.

Thank you again  :)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 November 20 23:59 GMT (UK) »
You may find this of interest

Post Office London Directory 1925
73 Hinton Rd Herne Hill
Mrs Beatrice Albania Pedlar, MIDWIFE

and Herman Munro (and wife Lillian Annie Augusta ) was an insurance agent and lived at 160 Cold Harbour Lane from before 1911 and was still living there 1959
the people at that address 1959 were :
May C Mills
Herman Munro
Violet M Odd
Pamela Yates
Peter Yates

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 November 20 09:07 GMT (UK) »

73 Hinton Rd Herne Hill

and Herman Munro (and wife Lillian Annie Augusta ) was an insurance agent and lived at 160 Cold Harbour Lane from before 1911 and was still living there 1959
the people at that address 1959 were :
May C Mills
Herman Munro
Violet M Odd
Pamela Yates
Peter Yates

Suz

Thank you but I had already found that  :) 

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 November 20 12:32 GMT (UK) »

73 Hinton Rd Herne Hill

Suz

You didn't recognise any of the names -but you didn't mention Beatrice was a midwife - was her name on the birth certificate-did she deliver the baby??Was she running a private maternity home -maybe for the unmarried?? Might be worth researching her ???

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 November 20 13:00 GMT (UK) »

73 Hinton Rd Herne Hill

Suz

You didn't recognise any of the names -but you didn't mention Beatrice was a midwife - was her name on the birth certificate-did she deliver the baby??Was she running a private maternity home -maybe for the unmarried?? Might be worth researching her ???

Suz

I researched her yesterday after the first reply to my questions. Thank you but I know all about her and husbands, parents etc. I'm sorry I should have marked the thread as completed as soon as I got Cathys reply.