Author Topic: Diary > Tuesday 10th November  (Read 875 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Tuesday 10th November
« on: Tuesday 10 November 20 23:49 GMT (UK) »
It seems ages since this morning, can't really recall much of what I did but whatever it was would have been unremarkable. I did put ingredients for spag bol in the slow cooker.

I hadn't sorted myself out for a walk this morning so put it off till after lunch. Then I was thinking about how I wanted to do some work in the garden as it was another mild day and also wanted to do some art work. Decided that I wouldn't bother with my walk as I'd arranged to meet my friend J for a longer walk tonight and I'd be getting some fresh air in the garden. I regretted that later, a walk during the day takes me out of myself.

It had rained during the night so the garden was soggy but I managed to trim some plants at the back of the border by standing on a large piece of cardboard. Got quite a lot done, also managed to sort out some plants on the fence adjoining NN's garden. There's a Virginia creeper that isn't mine, it hangs over the fence and although it's pretty it was getting unruly so I trimmed it a bit  - didn't murder it like she did to my plants. Pruned some of my shrubs, the bin is full now.

Came indoors and did some work to my Christmas card painting, sent it to art teacher for her thoughts. Later on I went to meet J, it was really quiet as I walked through the streets. She wanted to send a parcel, the post office in a shop on the main road into town is open till six so we walked down there. A man went in just before her, no mask on.
We continued our walk down to the sea front, no pretty views as it was pitch black. We returned by a different route through the residential streets, couldn't walk through the woods in the dark. We'd been out quite some time, I was tired when I got home and glad I only had to cook the pasta, the bolognese was piping hot in the slow cooker. Had two glasses of wine, that did nothing to enliven me.

Caroline, hope you're managing to stick to your dry week, sorry for setting a bad example! For some reason I always fancy a glass of wine with pasta.

* Added   - it seems we're one of 67 areas that have been nominated for mass testing. The previous arrangement was cancelled, we'll see what happens with this one. It will be decided locally who is tested, it will be done by by lateral flow testing.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Tuesday 10th November
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 November 20 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Yes, so far we’re sticking to our dry week...😇😢😢 we had spaghetti tonight too!I shan’t hold it against you for having a glass 🍷... honest!
Shame  you have to go out for your walk with your friend when it’s dark but good for you to have company and a chat,..
You’ve certainly had a productive day....

Had a good nights sleep, it was raining when we went to bed and think it continued through the night.... woke at a reasonable time and posted my diary then read for a while... good book so it was quite late when I got up! Not that it matters not going anywhere!
The morning was spent not really doing very much... OH finally had a response from clerk of PC to say she’d pass the matter on to community police officer... she couldn’t bring it up until next PC meeting... 😳😱😱...our friend had similar response... when OH replied to her he got an ‘ out of office on holiday ‘ message.... what!  and to get in touch with a P Councillor if it was urgent... our friends then messaged to say they’d been out for a walk and that both dogs had been out in the road barking and growling at them... they took some photos and went back the way they’d come... so now waiting to hear back from PC councillor... we’ve subsequently discovered the owners are both Solicitors!
Next we had message to say the man that owns the pub... been closed for 19 years now and boarded up looks awful... 400 yr old thatched building... anyway he’s put in another change of use application... exactly 2 yrs since the last..this is now his fourth attempt and been refused everytime and at appeal too.... only this time to be used as part residential and business selling medical supplies.... so more emails back and forth ... OH is chair of pub group....
After lunch I retreated upstairs to my work room to my sewing it’s quieter up there ... I watched the Robert Rinder programme.... very upsetting...
After dinner we had our monthly Investment Club zoom meeting... nice to catch up with friends....
Watched some tv...
I didn’t do my yogalates got to caught up with everything else going on... will definitely do it tomorrow.... and we didn’t get out for a walk either...
Son posted on his fb page a picture of the 4 jars of marmite he’d received from his sister.... I then told him he’d got more on the way.... he’s not going to run out and will take it to his bunker to eat after the apocalypse..... cheerful soul! Said he wasn’t going to have the vaccine as its largely untested... he read all the scientific papers... I told him he’s too young and he’ll probably have to wait some time as it’s all the old folk first, medics etc... so by time he gets it there’ll be plenty of data for him to weigh up...
on that note I’ll say goodnight...

Caroline

Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 November 20 08:18 GMT (UK) »
In my opinion Marmite is only good for enhancing gravy, so I would think saving it till after the apocalypse is a good plan.  :D
I almost got excited about going to do the weekly groceries. We left the flat at 09:00 and were back by 10:00, so although it seemed like we had to wait at the check out, it can't have taken that long obviously.  Most people wearing masks, even a tiny little lad of Asian heritage was perfectly sanguine about his miniature version, but of course use of face coverings is seen as quite common place in the Asian countries.
A brisk stroll along the seafront after lunch, between showers. 5 cruise ships at anchor in the Bay.
My fairy lights only last 1:30 minutes there had been so little sun all day.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 November 20 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Caroline, hope you soon get some progress with the dog situation, it's so irresponsible of the owners. You'd think that people in their occupation would know better. The pub proposals sound a bit odd, selling medical supplies isn't the sort of thing anyone would normally envisage for a small country village.

MH, hope you've had some better weather today, what a shame about the fairy lights.

Was thinking about your suggestion about a diary note for my window cleaner. He doesn't actually come at any set time, I suppose it depends a lot on the weather. I did have a look at my bank transfer payments to see what the dates have been - they have been in the first or second week of the month and no particular day. Then I thought - am I going to set my alarm for the window cleaner? The answer is a resounding No!! If the back windows are dirty I'll just squint.  ;D
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 November 20 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Fair comment Roobarb, and l would feel the same, but at leastways you could use a nudge not to open the curtains!!  ;)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 November 20 22:15 GMT (UK) »
I think he'd get a bigger shock than me! Thank goodness my bedroom is at the back.  ;D ;D
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 November 20 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Caroline, I am jealous of your son’s growing Marmite stash. I’ve been checking all the shops that used to stock it, but nothing. I bought another brand made in NZ which I read is similar, but I don’t hold high hopes. Time will tell.

I hope something is sorted with the 400 year old building in your village. It sounds wonderful - such a shame when characterful buildings are left to deteriorate. I can see that reopening it as a pub at this time is unlikely to happen, but it seems such as waste as that was what it was in its previous life and it is already set up for that.

I have just this minute heard the opposite about the order that a covid vaccine will be offered - they said that pregnant women, children, the elderly, people with compromised immune systems and so on, will be not be the first people offered the vaccine because the effects on those groups are not known yet. Presume more testing will be needed before it is deemed safe. So it looks like your son might be one of the first to receive an offer. ;D  Not sure I would be brave enough.  ;D

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 November 20 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Ruskie - sorry you’re not able to get some good old English marmite.... could ask my son if he’s willing to sell you a jar 😢....

Well we’re not holding out any hope for our pub... as you say not the right timing plus it needs a great deal of work doing to it.... my OH is about ready to throw the towel in... been battling for 19 years... we’ve got investment from villagers but the difference between what it’s actually worth as a non functioning pub and the price he’s asking... which is as if it was a residential property is way off....

Don’t think my Sons very keen on having the vaccine till there are more conclusive results... my DiL, who only has one kidney, might think differently...
have to say I’ve got some reservations... will speak to my SiL as he’s involved with Astra Zeneca but keeps things close to his chest!

Take care out there ...
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 November 20 03:37 GMT (UK) »
Haha thanks for the offer  of Marmite on your son’s behalf Caroline. There are Uk groceries stores around so I don’t think all is lost.

Shame about your ex pub. Is it a listed building?

Yes, I think I will be waiting a while before lining up for the vaccine. It all seems a bit rushed to me.