Author Topic: Look up request  (Read 2308 times)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Look up request
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 12 November 20 13:50 GMT (UK) »
William had died by the time of daughter Sarah's marriage in 1838, adding weight to that burial Colin found in 1837.

Oxford University and City Herald
04 Aug 1838
Same day [Monday last] was married, at St Aldate's church, Mr Laney, tea-dealer, to Sarah, youngest daughter of the late Mr Foster, livery-stable-keeper, of that parish.
Oxford Chronicle and Reading Gazette
04 Feb 1837
On Thursday last died, aged 71, Mr William Foster, for many years a respectable livery stable keeper in this city.

I wonder if this is the
William Forster Age:   71
Birth Year:   about 1766
Burial Date:   6 Feb 1837
Burial Place:   Oxford, St Aldate, Oxfordshire, abode Water Lane.

Well found cuffie81 that confirms the 1837 burial ColC found and occupation given by Mandy Forster.....

Mandy Forster

You mentioned four children born to William Forster and Elizabeth Collcutt,

Could one of their children have been named after either of his parent(s)?

(Tricky relative) search for, William Forster Born around 1774. Where?

Married Elizabeth Collcutt, 05-01-1794, St Aldates, Oxford.

His occupation was a Livery stable keeper, his premises being almost opposite Christ Church, St Aldates from 1795 - 1825.

Had four children, William, Catherine, Sarah & Elizabeth.

Any info would be much appreciated.

William Forster      15 Jun 1794   Oxford, St Mary the Virgin
Sarah Forster      5 Apr 1798   Oxford, St Aldate
Elizabeth Forster   8 Oct 1802   Oxford, St Aldate
Catherine ?

From their marriage witnesses mentioned were James & John Collcutt
(they could be Elizabeth’s father & brother)

Elizabeth  Baptism    10 Mar 1776 Oxford, St Aldate,
Father:   James COLLCUTT

Other baptism where father named James COLLCUTT at St Aldate Oxford
Mary 7 Mar 1778

Then we have these baptisms at
St Aldate Oxford father James COLLCUTT mother Mary

John 25 Jan 1777
James 10 Sep 1799
William 11 Sep 1782
James 16 Dec 1781
John Henry 4 Aug 1784
Ann 23 Jul 1786
Ricd 17 Aug 1788
Edward Turner 3 Jul 1790
Jane 6 Feb 1793
Charles 9 Dec 1795
source Oxfordshire, England, Church of England Baptism, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812
nothing for a William FORSTER born c1766  ???

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 12 November 20 14:40 GMT (UK) »
William Forster      15 Jun 1794   Oxford, St Mary the Virgin
Sarah Forster      5 Apr 1798   Oxford, St Aldate
Elizabeth Forster   8 Oct 1802   Oxford, St Aldate
Catherine ?

Mandy probably knows this already but it looks like daughter Catherine was baptised under the name Foster, at St Aldate on 17 Nov 1795.

She married William Grimmett (c1798-1871) in 1822 and died in 1886, aged 90.
On the 1881 census she's listed as a border in the household of Richard and Fanny Soanes.
Fanny is the daughter of Edwin George Laney and Sarah Forster.
At the inquest into Catherine's death, Mrs Soanes was a witness and states Catherine was her aunt.

GRO references:
1871 Q3 Death - William Grimmett; age 73 (born c1798); Oxford; 3a; 20
1886 Q2 Death - Catharine Grimmett; age 90 (born c1796); Headington; 3a; 42

1881 Census - Kingston Road, Oxford St Giles
Catherine Grimmott?, age 84, born Oxford
Ref RG11; Piece 1499; Folio 91; Page 29

Oxford University and City Herald
06 Apr 1822
A few days since was married, Mr Grimmett, to Miss Foster, daughter of Mr Foster, livery stable keeper, of St Aldate's, in this city.

Oxford Journal
29 Jul 1871
Deaths
July 16, at No 3, Wharton's Buildings, St Ebbe's, Mr William Grimmett, aged 73

Oxford Journal
29 Jul 1871
Appeal To The Charitable
- as will be seen from obituary of W Grimmett,
- an old Oxford citizen,
- died 16th inst,
- aged 73
- Mr Grimmett had for last half century been intimately connected with musical profession
- his quadrille band being well known and appreciated
- had been member of Oxford Choral Society for about 50 years
- and connected with University Amateur Society
- left an aged widow, quite destitute, and unable to earn a living
- we appeal to public for assistance
- contribution thankfully received at the 3 banks in this city

There are quite a few newspaper references, over many years, to William and his quadrille band.

Oxford Journal
24 Apr 1886
Deaths
April 17, suddenly, at the residence of her niece, No 6, Kingston-road, Oxford, Catherine, widow of the late William Grimmett, musician, aged 90.

Oxford Journal
24 Apr 1886
Inquests Before E L Hussey, Esq, City Coroner
- On Monday
- at 6 Kingston Road
- body of Catherine Grimmett
- aged 90
- widow of William Grimmett, musician
- who died suddenly on Saturday
- witness: Mrs F Soanes
- wife of Richard W Soanes, coal merchant, of 6 Kingston Road
- niece of Catherine Grimmett
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 12 November 20 14:40 GMT (UK) »
A possibility maybe  :-\

William FOSTER
Baptism 17 Feb 1765 Standlake, Oxfordshire
Father:   John Mother:   Sarah

other FOSTER baptisms at Standlake parents John & Sarah

Ann 10 May 1761
Sarah 24 May 1767
Catharine 8 Feb 1770
Thomas 14 Jun 1772   
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mandy Forster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 12 November 20 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Well, thankyou Ladyhawk and cuffie81 that's amazing information, well done. I partially knew some of these facts but not all them, brightened my day up.  :)
The surname Forster can be problematic, often being written as Foster which doesn't help when doing searches. Interestingly, I came across a write up about a Charles Foster on the St Sepulchre's Cemetery wesite. Under the heading graves A-Z I found Charles Foster, clicked on his name and there was a piece on him. Part of it read, "Charles Foster junior.
Charles Foster junior, the son of Charles Foster’s brother William Foster and his wife Elizabeth Collcutt, was born in Bucknell on 26 January 1808 and baptised there on 26 January 1809." I am confused about this as William Forster who married Elizabeth Collcutt didn't have a Brother, only Sisters? What do you make of this? Also, where could I view the said newspapers clippings.

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 12 November 20 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Interestingly, I came across a write up about a Charles Foster on the St Sepulchre's Cemetery wesite. Under the heading graves A-Z I found Charles Foster, clicked on his name and there was a piece on him. Part of it read, "Charles Foster junior.

Charles Foster junior, the son of Charles Foster’s brother William Foster and his wife Elizabeth Collcutt, was born in Bucknell on 26 January 1808 and baptised there on 26 January 1809."

Link for reference:
Charles Foster & family: St Sepulchre's Cemetery, Oxford
http://www.stsepulchres.org.uk/burials/foster_charles.html

I'm confused by the comments about Charles junior too. If I'm understanding it correctly, it's saying Charles jun. was the son of William and Elizabeth. If so, why would he be 'junior'? I'll see if I can find any newspaper announcements for his marriages, which may identify his father.

Also, where could I view the said newspapers clippings.

They're available in the British Newspaper Archives, which are also available via FindMyPast (for some subscriptions but not all).

There's a number of items for the family members. I didn't list them as I had the impression you had them already (as you referenced some bits about William in the 1820s). Let me know if you want them listed and I'll post the items I've found (so far).
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 12 November 20 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Interestingly, I came across a write up about a Charles Foster on the St Sepulchre's Cemetery website. Under the heading graves A-Z I found Charles Foster, clicked on his name and there was a piece on him. Part of it read, "Charles Foster junior.

Charles Foster junior, the son of Charles Foster’s brother William Foster and his wife Elizabeth Collcutt, was born in Bucknell on 26 January 1808 and baptised there on 26 January 1809."

Link for reference:
Charles Foster & family: St Sepulchre's Cemetery, Oxford
http://www.stsepulchres.org.uk/burials/foster_charles.html

I'm confused by the comments about Charles junior too. If I'm understanding it correctly, it's saying Charles jun. was the son of William and Elizabeth. If so, why would he be 'junior'? I'll see if I can find any newspaper announcements for his marriages, which may identify his father.

The 'junior' seems to come from newspaper adverts, where Charles is named as Mr Charles Foster, .jun. Although it's not clear to me why. A likely baptism record for Charles does record his parents as William & Elizabeth.

Charles' first marriage was likely in 1834, at St George Hanover Sq, London, but I couldn't find any marriage announcement.

On Charles' second marriage in 1871, his father is recorded as William Foster, farmer. There was a marriage announcement but it didn't name Charles' father.

I don't think Charles' parents were William Forster and Elizabeth Collcutt, I think it's just a case of that marriage record being incorrectly 'claimed' for the wrong couple.

Offline Mandy Forster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 13 November 20 09:00 GMT (UK) »
I agree, so I am not going to follow that up. I just really need to focus on William's parents, who were they? I tried to find  the newspaper clippings you referred to but without any success! I would be grateful if you could post them on here, thanks. Do you think the marriage of Elizabeth and William would have been announced in one of the newspapers given that the Collcutts were a well off family? (05-04-1794).If so, there may be a clue as to his Father or where he came from as I don't think he was originally from the area. All your help with this is very much appreciated, thank you.

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 14 November 20 00:38 GMT (UK) »
I had previously had a look for a marriage announcement for William and Elizabeth and hadn't found anything. I've had another look and still couldn't. It may be that the newspaper from that time, at least the ones online, are too light in nature to carry marriage announcements.

I haven't found much on William and nothing that provides a family connection. I wonder if it'd be worth following up any other Forsters in the area to try and make a connection (eg named in a will maybe).

Attached are various newspaper references for the family members, including some for Elizabeth's family (or at least what I think are Elizabeth's family). I've included the page and column numbers, so if you locate the paper itself you should then be able to locate the item. Searching newspapers can be hit-and-miss due to the OCR conversion from print to text.

If you still have trouble locating the newspaper items let me know and I'll sort something via PM.

Offline Mandy Forster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 14 November 20 07:31 GMT (UK) »
Great work cuffie81, very interesting. I like the newspaper cuttings as you can extract so much information from them, a great insight into their lives, it kind of brings the person to life, much better than just putting names into the family tree! I tried again yesterday to search through the newspapers on The British Archives website but it didn't return any of the clippings you have sent me? I am clearly doing something wrong! I have noted that William was often named "Foster", not "Forster". I still have at the back of my mind if there is some connection to the "Charles Foster" mentioned in the St sepulchres article? I will take your advise and search for any other "Forsters" in the area. I'm currently using Ancestry.co.uk, in your opinion is this the best site for information. I am a novice at all this! Thank you for all your help.