Author Topic: Photo Restoration of Stark Family, Glasgow  (Read 411 times)

Offline Axamfam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Photo Restoration of Stark Family, Glasgow
« on: Wednesday 11 November 20 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have this really faded photo in my family's photo album.  It is in horrendous condition, and I was wondering if in your opinion it could be improved.  We can't identify anyone in the photo because of its state. but think it is the Stark family  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cash, Robinson, Muller, Edwards, Olckers, Powell, Keep, Barleigh, Benny

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: Photo Restoration of Stark Family, Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 November 20 03:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Axamfam.

Sorry, but with the severe fading, combined with other damage, I haven't been able to recover much at all. (The only way to get a decent picture from it would be to make it up - which really is no use at all.)

I've done some cleaning, filling in of the torn off bit, and adjusted the lighting.

I've also had a go at running it through an artificial intelligence filter just to see what would happen. The way I understand it is that the filter is designed to act like a very sophisticated identikit. Looking at less-than-perfect pictures, it recognises faces, picks out individual features from those faces and substitutes the closest matches it can find from its database. In the case of your photo it could only "see" one face out of six and the result of that one is not great.

I've attached the two attempts below. Maybe others with better eyes than mine will be able to do better for you.

Cheers,
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 November 20 09:58 GMT (UK) »
I've done some quick processing with a filter called Viveza that enables me to bring up the structure of the faces but the photo is so worn that it's also brought up the worn areas too.

I'm not sure what can be done without doing some 'creative' work that won't produce a real likeness.

This was done on my little laptop so I'll see if I can get more out of it on my larger Mac.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 November 20 10:11 GMT (UK) »
another attempt which reduces the contrast.

And a smoother one.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 November 20 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Had a go but no good:

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 November 20 11:05 GMT (UK) »
I've redone this on my Mac, which has a bigger screen and more controls.

i've tried to bring out the details of the faces that I can see while also trying to reduce any harshness. There are no real details of the face of the little boy on the bottom left so I have not attempted any drawing in.

This is not a full restoration but an attempt to bring out any detail in the faces.

Gadget

Offline Polldoll

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Counting my Blessings...not the years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 November 20 11:17 GMT (UK) »
I have only retrieved details on this image and not attempted to repair...As others have said , it would be defeating the object to  replace a likeness  and the little boy front left has had his features almost obliterated...
Reynolds Johnson Chapman Goodyear Wright   Demmon Maddison Jackson Bush Lingard<br />Lincolnshire Northants,Essex.   Soutar  McKenzie Stuart Watt Banff, Coupar Angus, Glen Livet, Broughty Ferry, Coatbridge, Airdrie Lanarkshire and Saskatchewan, Hamilton Wentworth, Canada. Phillips. Coyne- March Cambs, Islington,Hackney 1st Lincolnshire Regt 1914

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 November 20 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Nice tries restorers, and brilliant work, Gadget, on that last one of yours - about as good as it gets.
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Axamfam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 November 20 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your brilliant work, it is a miracle any of you were able to do this much, considering the state of the photo!  All your help is much appreciated! Nina
Cash, Robinson, Muller, Edwards, Olckers, Powell, Keep, Barleigh, Benny