Author Topic: Another DNA Match headache, 141 cM  (Read 1555 times)

guest189040

Another DNA Match headache, 141 cM
« on: Wednesday 11 November 20 17:44 GMT (UK) »
My second highest DNA match is 144cM.

So according to DNA Painter Tools this is about 2C1R at 50% probability.

So clicked on Shared Matches, GREAT there are four others, two of which already are in confirmed branches on my tree.  The other two have no trees.

The match has a tree of 5, him his F&M and paternal GP’s.

So after IDing him, his birth location fits in with the branch of the family who moved to Prescot (Merseyside).  The existing DNA matches who are in my tree have the same GGGP’s so I know I am on the right track and it is a few of them in this branch that moved to Prescot.

Then I build his tree and get to GGP level, I find all eight of his and no joy, I expected or rather hoped to find a recognisable surname, but no,
I did not.

So back another generation and still no joy.

Enough for today, my head hurts.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Another DNA Match headache, 141 cM
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 November 20 16:48 GMT (UK) »

You’re not alone with this Biggles50.

I’ve been trying all of these things since I first tested with Ancestry, about 2 years ago now. I’ve also gone on to test with Living and 23andme, and to upload to FTDNA, My Heritage and Gedmatch...

But I’m still stuck!

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

guest189040

« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 November 20 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Yes Romily I know what you mean.

I built the DNA Match’s paternal side but no joy with a recognisable surname going back 200 years.

My DNA Match’s Mother is deceased so she shows up fully in Ancestry and not as Private.  It is a bit strange that the Match has not included their Maternal Grandparents so maybe there is a clue there.

Let’s call his Mother Emily Wilson, the issue I have there is that there were a fair few Emily Wilson’s born in the same year so I took a guess and built the tree around the guess and no joy.

Time to try building another based on a different Emily Wilson.

Its like playing Cluedo without the body.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 November 20 17:36 GMT (UK) »

Boggles, (I loved those books!) Are you just using Ancestry, or have you uploaded to any other Sites?

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

guest189040

« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 November 20 19:48 GMT (UK) »

Boggles, (I loved those books!) Are you just using Ancestry, or have you uploaded to any other Sites?

Romilly.

In answer to your question.

Just Ancestry at present.

However it is increasingly obvious that I will have to upload to the other sites.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 November 20 20:22 GMT (UK) »

Apologies, - of course I meant Biggles!

If you don’t get round to uploading anywhere else, - do upload to Gedmatch, because all Sites can upload to there.

Romilly.

Researching:

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 November 20 21:47 GMT (UK) »
I’m in a similar situation, though I tend to give up if it is too difficult to work how how I match with someone. I “manage” a few accounts and apart from the few obvious matches, more often than not, if a person has a tree (which of course most of them don’t), and I am able to find a connection, then that often seems to come through the female line.

I am amazed how anyone finds out how they connect with someone when they have single figure cm matches when I haven’t a clue how I connect with 30, 40 and higher cm matches.  ;)

I tested with FTDNA and uploaded my raw data to My Heritage. You need to pay to unlock the useful features and I would advise doing that. Though My Heritage is not as popular as Ancestry you might catch people who have uploaded from other sites. I am on Gedmatch too (which reminds me that I should have another look at that) - I get a bit lost on there.  :)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 November 20 22:16 GMT (UK) »

I think that Trees are very important in figuring it out, Ruskie.

For example, I have a 6cMs match in British Columbia, Canada. Because she had got her Tree back to 1794in Horne, Surrey, I could see that her ancestor Mary Dearling was the sister of my ancestor Amelia Dearling. Amelia Dearling married my 4x Great Grandfather William Pattenden in East Grinstead in 1802.

And so it’s a great shame that Ancestry have pulled all of the 6cMs matches, because sometimes you can work them out!

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 November 20 23:14 GMT (UK) »
That’s true Romilly, however one of my highest matches apart from my parent and child is just over 100cm match with me. She has a substantial tree and I have no dates or places in common with her. Presumably there is some illegitimacy somewhere.  :)

My father miraculously has a fairly low cm match (can’t recall the exact cms) with a woman whose father had same surname, but I don’t know exactly where the connection is. Dates and places where both sides of the family lived and were born tally, though I don’t know who our common ancestor is. Communication between us started enthusiastically but they don’t seem interested any more. It is a shame because this woman is in her 80s and maybe able to help. I know very little about this side of my family which is why I was so keen to communicate with her.  :-\