Author Topic: upgrading FTM3 in Oz..  (Read 1791 times)

Offline casliber

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
upgrading FTM3 in Oz..
« on: Saturday 27 August 05 05:25 BST (UK) »
Way back in 1998 I got Family Tree Maker 3 which I still use and am very happy with, though I now have 1600 names on it and it crashes if I cut and paste text into it.

I am in Australia and thought about buying/upgrading it online but couldn't find any info  on whether this was possible.

Anyone in Oz using FTM 2005; I am keen to know whether one can upgrade and whether the family files could get corrupted (hate to lose data on 1600+ names!)

Also, if I buy it online eill there be any incompatibility problems?
Cas in Oz
Aberdeenshire: Nelson, Middleton, Dow, McLennan, Hendry
Ross & Cromarty: McLennan, Macaulay
Midlothian: Nelson, Lumsden
Berwickshire: Lumsden, Melrose
Stirlingshire: Dick
West Lothian/Lanark: Wark
West Yorkshire: Wormald, Cooper, Snowden, Sykes (all Drighlington/Adwalton), Thackeray (Tong)
Warwickshire: Payne (Coleshill/Solihull), Forshaw (Coleshill), Drakeford (Coleshill)
Somerset: Quartley
NZ: Thompson (Dunedin)
also Poland, Belarus, Romania

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: upgrading FTM3 in Oz..
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 August 05 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

I just looked up FTM on the internet, having upgraded to FTM2005 recently.

You cannot upgrade from an older version than 2005 to the latest, which is FTM2006.

That is to say, you can transfer all your info without any problem, but you are effectively a new customer and will have to buy the full version.  I fell foul of this with my "upgrade".

The good news is, all you have to do is fill in your credit details and download the software from the internet.  You then get an unlock code to enable it.  I think the price is $29US.

I haven't seen 2006, but with 2005 the "front end" is prettier and I can now produce narrative reports, which I couldn't before.  You also get charts and I think 2006 has colour (wowee!)

Hope this helps,

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline casliber

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 August 05 11:40 BST (UK) »
That all sounds good to me. In reality, the distinction between paying for an upgrade and paying for a new program is an arbitrary one but I would feel rather unhappy (to say the least) having to re-enter 1600 punters' worth of data..

off ta tha website I go................ 8)
West Yorkshire: Wormald, Cooper, Snowden, Sykes (all Drighlington/Adwalton), Thackeray (Tong)
Warwickshire: Payne (Coleshill/Solihull), Forshaw (Coleshill), Drakeford (Coleshill)

Offline 1000xlch

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 September 05 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Casliber

I had FTM 7 which I then bought FTM10 and installed it, copied the FTM file into the directory and it opened no problem.  Make sure you have more than one copy of the original on different computers or on CD-R.

You do not need the deluxe version with all the CD's as they are mainly American unless you have ancestors over that way.

Cheers

John Rowley
DUNN - Cambuslang, LKS
FORSYTH - Shotts, LKS
FRAME - Hamilton, LKS
HODGSON - Hamsterley, DUR
HUMPHREY - Easingwold, NRY
HUNT - Frimley, Surrey
MCKECHNIE - Argyll - Shotts
NETHERCLIFF(T)/ DRAYCOTT Sandhurst, BKS
PEPPERCORN - Lolworth, Cambs
PRATT - Thirsk, NYK
REDSHAW - Hamsterley, DUR
REYNOLDS - Fritton,Stratton,NFK
ROWLEY - STS to DUR
TALLACK - St Agnes Padstow,CON
WALMSLEY - NRY,Brum
WILSON - Hamsterley, Co Durham
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline casliber

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 September 05 21:51 BST (UK) »
I picked up FTM 2005 Starter Edition on ebay for $24 AUS which i was happy with until I had to fork out another $20 US to regrister online to get use of the descendant tree (my favourite graph).

Overall I am happy - they spruced up a couple of the features and my data was OK.
Cas