Author Topic: McKenzie/Mackenzie & Menzies  (Read 794 times)

Offline songbird5

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McKenzie/Mackenzie & Menzies
« on: Sunday 15 November 20 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm looking for some help/info on Donald Mckenzie/Mackenzie b.abt 1775 possibly R&C, he married a Mary Menzies b.abt 1776, they had 3 children Alexander b.1798, James b.1800 & Euphan b.1804 all Baptised at St. Cuthberts Edinburgh and all confirm Donald & Mary as their parents, I've looked everywhere for a marriage certificate for Donald & Mary but can't find one or anything else on them,  James is my line, on his children's wedding certificates James is listed as a Sheriff/Commissioner of Police and there is a possible link to the Burke & Hare body snatchers case of 1828, more research is needed into this to confirm this, I have looked everywhere for Donald & Mary but can't find anything on them, where are they?
Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McKenzie/Mackenzie & Menzies
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 November 20 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat, songbird5.

Presumably you mean that you cannot find a parish record for the marriage, as certificates did not exist in the 1790's?

As a sideways jump, have you managed to find anything out about Donald in the police either in the newspapers or in any police records of any sort? 
No deaths nor burials for either him or his wife?

Offline songbird5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 November 20 14:12 GMT (UK) »
yes I mean Parish records and no I've not found anything else on Donald & Mary.
I did state it was James who was in the police not Donald as you've said.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 November 20 08:17 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I mis-read that sentence and thought you meant on Donald's children's marriage certificates it was Donald that was the police man, as that was who you were looking for more information.  But I would guess that the marriages of Alexander, James and Euphan were before full details of parents were available.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 November 20 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Is that your James on the 1841 Census transcriptions at https://freecen1.freecen.org.uk/ ?
53 Lothian Street , St Cuthbert's , Midlothian.
James Mckenzie 40 Sherriff Officer , born Midlothian.
Wife Mary(Cockburn ?).

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline songbird5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 November 20 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  Thank you for replying, Yes that is my James, there is a possible link between him being a sheriff and the Burke & Hare case of 1828, I've yet to confirm this as I've no idea where to look, there is plenty of info on the criminals but not those involved in the arrest.

Offline songbird5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 November 20 12:29 GMT (UK) »
no worries on the confusion, yes I've got all their info but not their parents which is really frustrating as I've no idea where Donald came from, there was family talk of Ross & Cromarty but I've nothing else to go off.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 November 20 16:04 GMT (UK) »
There's no marriage of a Donald or Daniel M*c*k*n*z* to a Mary M*n*z*s in any of the church records on Scotland's People. In practical terms this means that the record of the marrage, if it ever existed, has almost certainly not survived.

Have you looked at all three baptisms? Do they say what Donald's occupation was? Do they name any witnesses whose names might provide a clue?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline songbird5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 November 20 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have Scotlands people old parish register for the 3 children which names "Donald Mckenzie and Mary Menzies his spouse of old grey friars" it says Donald is a shoemaker