Author Topic: Appeal Records for City Court Melbourne - late October 1873  (Read 562 times)

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Appeal Records for City Court Melbourne - late October 1873
« on: Monday 16 November 20 05:02 GMT (UK) »
My question is this, after trawling through Trove I have found several 'Police and Court' reports in the newspapers that could be about a elusive ancestor.  She is listed as Frances Robinson. on the charge of Vagrancy.  The last clipping says her solicitor was lodging an appear for 2 months time.   Been through the online Victorian Archives, nothing, searched the Asylum inmate records, again nothing, no death registration. She seems to have vanished.
I understand that IF this is the lady  I'm looking for her offspring would be socially embarrassed, but surely there has to be some record of her Appeal case.  Suggestions please.
The lady in question was Frances de Bruton Murdoch, nee Robertson.  Eldest daughter of Gilbert Robertson, late of Geelong and widow of James B. Murdoch late of Anakie, Vic .  Affectionately known as Fanny.
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Tyrone- SEETON George, John; COULTER Mary>1919
Clonmel Tipperary - KELLY Daniel b1812 wed in Aust.1849 
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
Headford Galway - Bridget KING famine orphan and Tuam Workhouse
  Abygail

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Appeal Records for City Court Melbourne - late October 1873
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 November 20 05:53 GMT (UK) »
News article from Trove here
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article202520126

From the Victoria Police Gazette:
Discharged from Melbourne gaol during week ending 3rd November 1873
Tried Melbourne 29 August 1873, larceny 2 months
Francis Robertson, native of Edinburgh, born 1820, servant and teacher, no previous convictions

M

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 November 20 05:54 GMT (UK) »

Anyone who had the means to employ the service of a solicitor......against a charge of vagrancy in 1873........

Possibly the matter was settled with no further court appearance......

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 November 20 05:58 GMT (UK) »
I’m not sure why you think it’s her. Given that it is a different surname and not even her married surname.

Was she already deceased? An Elizabeth Robinson Murdoch, spinster is one of the probate recipients, not Frances. So, she is missing by 1871.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 November 20 06:21 GMT (UK) »
From a MyHeritage tree:

Frances De Bruton Murdoch (born Robertson), 1820 - 1880

Related thread: https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=586394.0

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 November 20 06:32 GMT (UK) »
Firstly thank you one and all for your input.  As I said in my post IF this is the lady I am looking for, her daughters, and son-in-laws would have had the money.  As well as her sons IF they were still in Victoria.
Thanks jamjam, most likely my tree anyway.
I have been hunting for information relating to her death for years without success.  These court events could well explain a few things for me.  Time line, husband died suddenly 1871, everything  was sold up to repay the loan his sister had made to him.  and I mean EVERYTHING.  The daughters were married by 1873, her parents dead, sisters' married and scattered.  Her son's relocated to north Queensland.
When the tree was done for the 176 year family reunion (200 in 2022) it was stated that Fanny had died 1880 and was buried at Anakie. (assume Victoria as that was where the property was.  Problem there is no death records to be found, no cemetery at Anakie Vic. and at Anakie Qld the cemetery records have been lost.  Only graves with headstones appear in the 'new' record of burials.
Yes, she was born 1820, just out of Edinburgh, Scotland.  Baptised at Gladsmuir.  Her favourite sister was Elizabeth, even though Fanny was 53 she may well have had a breakdown.  So I can understand her slip on names.
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Tyrone- SEETON George, John; COULTER Mary>1919
Clonmel Tipperary - KELLY Daniel b1812 wed in Aust.1849 
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
Headford Galway - Bridget KING famine orphan and Tuam Workhouse
  Abygail

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 November 20 06:35 GMT (UK) »
Did you get the NSW certificate:

1416/1880 MURDOCK Fanny age 62 SYDNEY

At Rookwood Cemetery - PLOT: P_ZONE B/#/1615
MURDOCK Fanny 26 AUG 1880

Jamjar

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 November 20 06:44 GMT (UK) »
James B MURDOCK actually left his wife well provided for in his will.

One of his children has the middle name Robinson, so it seems a bit confusing.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 November 20 06:56 GMT (UK) »

From newspaper article...reply #1 for link to Trove.......

Who is Mrs HUBBARD......who must know Fanny ROBINSON by sight.... and able to describe her to the pawnbroker and the landlady at the hotel....and have reason to think Fanny might enter her house during absence in Tasmania?