Author Topic: Appeal Records for City Court Melbourne - late October 1873  (Read 563 times)

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Appeal Records for City Court Melbourne - late October 1873
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 November 20 07:01 GMT (UK) »
I’m not sure why you think it’s her. Given that it is a different surname and not even her married surname.

Was she already deceased? An Elizabeth Robinson Murdoch, spinster is one of the probate recipients, not Frances. So, she is missing by 1871.
James B Murdoch wrote his will on his deathbed, so yes, Fanny was still alive.  The Elizabeth you refer to was one of their daughters.
Jamjar
His will had provide very well for his family but he hadn't taken into account the probate and the debt he had both locally and with his sister..   Can only guess he hadn't expected his sister to react the way she did. 
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Tyrone- SEETON George, John; COULTER Mary>1919
Clonmel Tipperary - KELLY Daniel b1812 wed in Aust.1849 
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
Headford Galway - Bridget KING famine orphan and Tuam Workhouse
  Abygail

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 November 20 07:03 GMT (UK) »
Have you contacted the Global Moderator to organise for the threads to be merged?

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 November 20 08:05 GMT (UK) »

"..The last clipping says her solicitor was lodging an appear for 2 months time."

Can you identify this newspaper item please.....title and date. 

Offline Abygail

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 November 20 08:49 GMT (UK) »
my apologies, misquoted, sentenced to  2 months and Mr Fisher gave notice of appeal.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article202520126
The Age (Melbourne, Vic, : 1854 - 1954 Saturday 30 August 1873, page 5
Durham - HARDY Ann, Mary, CLARKE William, Elizabeth, DABRON Robert, Thomas, Rhoda >1853
Tyrone- SEETON George, John; COULTER Mary>1919
Clonmel Tipperary - KELLY Daniel b1812 wed in Aust.1849 
Cornwell - Newton on Abbot area SYMON(D)S - George Harvie wife BALSOM(E) Mary b1795
Headford Galway - Bridget KING famine orphan and Tuam Workhouse
  Abygail

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 November 20 09:37 GMT (UK) »

Does solicitor, Mr FISHER, appeal against the conviction, or against the sentence....two months in jail?

Using PROV ....VPRS 516 (women in custody)....I do not see record, 1873, for.......

Fanny / Frances / ROBERTSON / ROBINSON / MURDOCH

Thinking aloud for possibilities -

* If solicitor made a successful appeal against the conviction, there would be something to see in the newspaper.

* So....conviction stood......sentence reduced... or....Fanny does not go to jail. But you might think that an old, homeless woman with alcohol problem was released into care of......someone / family / friend....

Try contacting PROV to see where court records would be. I do not think you will find anything accessible online.  You would need to go to archives, but it would be worth seeing what were the grounds for appeal....and the outcome of the appeal.

I think the records would name someone who will assume responsibility for Fanny.