Author Topic: Help Needed - William Brown Evans - B) 1879 Dolgellau/Dolgelly  (Read 4173 times)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help Needed - William Brown Evans - B) 1879 Dolgellau/Dolgelly
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 21:58 GMT (UK) »
A child

EVANS, IVOR
mmn        GATES     
Q2  1911  ST. AUSTELL  Volume 05C  Page 81

Fairly sure I have found the family on 1939 back in Wales - using the surname Brown

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Have found has  GWR staff record - gives dob as 14 Nov 1879 

Mostly in Wolverhampton in the early years, made up to fireman in 1907  when he moves to Stourbridge, the on to Cornwall in 1908. 1925 sees him move to Aberystwyth. Retired on his 60th birthday

Includes his disciplinary record -  there was one incident when he unnecessarily left his engine unattended, went to a signal box an managed to accidentally shoot the signalman with an automatic pistol he;d been handed by the victim, assuming it was  empty!

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Have just checked the 1939 and you are right.  Living in Cardiganshire and same birthdate as his staff record
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Sassenach73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 19 November 20 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Maybe they're badly transcribed elsewhere.

I looked for a Nellie b Wolverhampton c1876 married to William, and on Ancestry she was top of the list for 1911!

Oh thank you so much Mabel!!  Thats brilliant!  I had earmarked Cornwall for further scrutiny as one of her brothers was listed as living at St Austell and I vaguely recall a birth of a child being in Cornwall, (Truro maybe) - Thank you so very much for your help!  Only another three unaccounted children to search for now lol X  ;D

Offline Sassenach73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 19 November 20 11:14 GMT (UK) »

Mostly in Wolverhampton in the early years, made up to fireman in 1907  when he moves to Stourbridge, the on to Cornwall in 1908. 1925 sees him move to Aberystwyth. Retired on his 60th birthday

Includes his disciplinary record -  there was one incident when he unnecessarily left his engine unattended, went to a signal box an managed to accidentally shoot the signalman with an automatic pistol he;d been handed by the victim, assuming it was  empty!

Are the GWR records available to view on a specific site? x

Offline Sassenach73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 19 November 20 11:14 GMT (UK) »

Thank you so very much X

Offline Sassenach73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 19 November 20 11:17 GMT (UK) »
A child

EVANS, IVOR
mmn        GATES     
Q2  1911  ST. AUSTELL  Volume 05C  Page 81

Fairly sure I have found the family on 1939 back in Wales - using the surname Brown

Why do you think they would use the Brown surname instead of the Evans?  The only reason I ask is that, although it was his registered name, on every school register, census return, even when he was an adult, (1901 census), he used the name Evans - a newspaper report of his marriage was the only time I'd seen him recorded as W Brown Evans!  Plus, he named his child Evans??