Author Topic: Alexander McIntyre, born Morvern 1815, and family  (Read 4673 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander McIntyre, born Morvern 1815, and family
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 22 November 20 21:25 GMT (UK) »
It is always difficult when there is no baptism records for any of Alexander & Sarah's  children
Baptisms were Roman Catholic - see post #9
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 22 November 20 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Think this is the marriage for Duncan McIntyre referred to

24 June 1899 Crewe

Duncan McIntyre 52 widower ironmonger residence Kensington, Liverpool Father Alexander McIntyre quarry - next word is very hard to make out!
Sarah Jane Lowndes 50 widow Licensed Victualler

Seems the wrong occupation for Alexander.

There is a Duncan McIntyre in West Derby, Lancs. in the 1891 census. Age 46 Ironmongers Manager with wife Sarah 42 and daughters Marjory 19 and Agnes S 14. All born Scotland.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 22 November 20 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks William. That's very useful, because I think we can discount that Duncan now.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline annby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 22 November 20 21:38 GMT (UK) »
I think you found the correct Margaret in 1871 working as a domestic srvant.
This 1881 census record had me interested, as I thought it might be Margaret. Note the names of her children Sarah and Alexander. Of course I can't find a suitable marriage for them. >:(
Of course, maybe they were not married.
Inevitably no marriage certificate... Morvern birthplace, date and children’s names are indeed intriguing.
Perthshire: Cram, Kirk, Cairns, Monteath
Edinburgh: Baillie
Morvern and Isle of Mull, Argyllshire: McIntyre, McGregor
Uist, Invernessshire: McPherson
Inverness: Davidson
Aberdeenshire/Banffshire: Thain
Ireland: Foley, O'Sullivan

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 22 November 20 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Reply to Neale1961

Alexander & Sarah's marriage in 1842 is on C of S Morvern Parish records, not RC

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 22 November 20 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Reply to Neale1961

Alexander & Sarah's marriage in 1842 is on C of S Morvern Parish records, not RC
I agree. You asked about baptisms.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 22 November 20 22:06 GMT (UK) »
I’m just thinking out loud ….....
From the census we can see that Alexander was quite a bit older than his wife – about 10 years. So that puts his birth more around 1805, therefore I suspect that the one you have for 1815, is not right.

The other thing to note about the census is that his wife Sarah/Marion was born in Glasgow but is always recorded on the census as born Morven. We know that is wrong, so do we believe that Alexander’s birth place as Morven is correct ?

Why the Catholic baptism of the children? Rather strange, as Sarah MacPherson was not baptised RC. Sarah and Alexander’s marriage was not RC. Was Alexander Catholic, and if so, how does that affect a search for his birth and death?

Offline annby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 22 November 20 22:26 GMT (UK) »
I’m just thinking out loud ….....
From the census we can see that Alexander was quite a bit older than his wife – about 10 years. So that puts his birth more around 1805, therefore I suspect that the one you have for 1815, is not right.

The other thing to note about the census is that his wife Sarah/Marion was born in Glasgow but is always recorded on the census as born Morven. We know that is wrong, so do we believe that Alexander’s birth place as Morven is correct ?

Why the Catholic baptism of the children? Rather strange, as Sarah MacPherson was not baptised RC. Sarah and Alexander’s marriage was not RC. Was Alexander Catholic, and if so, how does that affect a search for his birth and death?

I’ve mused on those things too.
1. Alexander’s age/dob - we can infer from the 1841/51/61 censuses he was born around 1811, so, given general looseness with ages, the 1815 baptism seemed a possibility. It’s the 1871/81 censuses that throw this out - and Sarah’s supposedly being younger.
2. I agree about places of birth. It’s possible that Alexander, like Sarah, was born elsewhere.
3. Sarah’s baptism in Glasgow was RC and their marriage CoS. The likely explanation of their children’s RC baptisms was pressure from the owners of the Drimmin Estate, Lord and Lady Gordon, who were fervent Roman Catholics.  There’s reference to this on the history section of the Drimmin Estate website, as well as more detailed background, including on Aulisten, where they lived, being cleared, in Gaskell’s Morvern Transformed.
Perthshire: Cram, Kirk, Cairns, Monteath
Edinburgh: Baillie
Morvern and Isle of Mull, Argyllshire: McIntyre, McGregor
Uist, Invernessshire: McPherson
Inverness: Davidson
Aberdeenshire/Banffshire: Thain
Ireland: Foley, O'Sullivan

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 22 November 20 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Sarah’s baptism in Glasgow was RC. The likely explanation of their children’s RC baptisms was pressure from the owners of the Drimmin Estate, Lord and Lady Gordon, who were fervent Roman Catholics.  There’s reference to this on the history section of the Drimmin Estate website, as well as more detailed background, including on Aulisten, where they lived, being cleared, in Gaskell’s Morvern Transformed.
Ah, that explains it. Interesting. Thanks

What information is there on Alexander and Sarah's marriage record?