Author Topic: Alexander McIntyre, born Morvern 1815, and family  (Read 4682 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander McIntyre, born Morvern 1815, and family
« Reply #81 on: Thursday 26 November 20 21:30 GMT (UK) »
It was that Malcolm's age that bothered me, 54 when discharged in 1814. We would then have him in Glasgow with the birth of Sarah there in 1815.
Yes, 54 seems quite old to be still serving in the army.

Maybe someone else will have more success than I had finding that record.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Thursday 26 November 20 21:36 GMT (UK) »
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C8708631
says his birth parish is 'Myhath in or near the town of Inverness in the county of Inverness'. I am clean out of ideas as to where 'Myhath' might be, but I don't think that anywhere in Uist could by any stretch of the most elastic imagination be described as 'near the town of Inverness' so I think this has to be a different Malcolm McPherson.

My guess on this would be Strath, Skye, Inverness-shire?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Thursday 26 November 20 22:24 GMT (UK) »
his birth parish is 'Myhath in or near the town of Inverness in the county of Inverness'. I am clean out of ideas as to where 'Myhath' might be
My guess on this would be Strath, Skye, Inverness-shire?

See what you make of it.

Strath is on the Isle of Skye. Not quite as far as it's possible to be from Inverness but still be in the county, but Dunan is 12 miles from Kyleakin and it's another 80 miles by road from Kyle of Lochalsh (the other side of the ferry from Kyleakin) to Inverness. See https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=57.27780&lon=-5.99403&layers=5&b=1

If it had been Strath it would surely have said 'in or near the town of Portree'? The one born in Laggan says, 'In or near the town of Cluny' and it is much closer to Inverness than Strath is.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Thursday 26 November 20 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Something else that's bothering me.

Have we seen Sally/Sarah McPherson's baptism? How can she be legitimate if her younger full brother Donald is illegitimate?

Offline annby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Friday 27 November 20 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Good point, Forfarian.

Long post alert! It might be helpful – for me anyway – to summarise what we have on Sarah and the McPherson family.
We are confident:
Marriage
MCINTYRE ALEXANDER (from Aulisten)
SARAH MCPHERSON
02/02/1842
528/20 106 Morvern

Named as Marion MacPherson with Alexander at children’s RC baptisms at Drimnin, St Columba’s, Morvern

1851 (Aulister, Morvern aged 33), 1861 (Kirktown, Muckairn aged 39) and 1871 (High Street, Oban aged 53) – with Alexander and relevant children, with Morvern consistently given as place of birth

Death
MCINTYRE SARAH
BLACK
523/ 84
Kilmore and Kilbride
She died at High Street, Oban, married to Alexander McIntyre, general labourer, who notified the death, with parents’ names Malcolm McPherson, innkeeper, dec [I think I see a question mark] and Flora McPherson MS Black.

We’re speculating that, as there are age inconsistencies with implied birth years 1818-1824, there may be birthplace inconsistencies too, so:

RC baptism
MCPHERSON SALLY (lawful)
MALCOLM MCPHERSON/FLORY BLACK
F
30/10/1815
5/11/1815
Glasgow, St Andrew's

There are possible siblings:

ALEXANDER MCPHERSON b abt 1816-1820  (see Monica’s #57)
1851 census aged 30, born Glasgow, at Dunan, Strath, Inverness-shire, with wife Ann, daughter Catherine aged 10 mo and sister-in-law Janet McCrae
1881 census aged 65, born Fort William, at Argyll Street, Oban, with wife Ann, children Catherine, Norman and Flora and sister-in-law Janet McCrae
d 1881 Oban, aged 61, with parents named as Malcolm McPherson, soldier, and Flora McPherson MS Black

MACPHERSON DONALD (natural)
MALCOLM MACPHERSON/FLORA BLACK
M
3/3/1822
13/3/1822
Fort William, The Immaculate Conception

MACPHERSON MALCOM (lawful)
MALCOM MACPHERSON/FLORA POLACH (see attached – more convincing as Black?)
M
0/9/1824
10/10/1824
Glasgow, St Andrew's

The conflicting information for Alexander is helpful – the 1851 and 1881 census are for the same man and establish links with Glasgow, Fort William and Oban – and indeed Strath, Skye. It’s moving me towards thinking it more likely than not that, despite the many inconsistencies, we’ve got the right family. Is that tenable?

Perthshire: Cram, Kirk, Cairns, Monteath
Edinburgh: Baillie
Morvern and Isle of Mull, Argyllshire: McIntyre, McGregor
Uist, Invernessshire: McPherson
Inverness: Davidson
Aberdeenshire/Banffshire: Thain
Ireland: Foley, O'Sullivan

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Friday 27 November 20 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Confusing about the natural/lawful isn't it.

Good find on the son Malcolm in 1824. Certainly looks like Black for Flora's maiden name on the image.

Sarah/Sally/Marion are common variants. See www.whatsinaname.net/php/search.php?action=search2&search_name=sarah  I think this is the best site to check always for first name variants...some obvious, some less so.

Have you viewed the image for Sally McIntyre in 1815?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline annby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Friday 27 November 20 14:37 GMT (UK) »
I've managed to find the discharge papers for the two Malcolm McPhersons discharged from the army in 1814.
The older Malcolm, aged about 54 from Long Island, was discharged after more than 20 years' service because, unsurprisingly, his constitution had worn out.
The younger Malcolm, aged about 37 from Myhath [Strath?], was discharged after nearly seven years because of the amputation of both legs after a fever on the Retreat from Burgos in the Peninsular War.
Both sets of details match the index entries.

Offline annby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Friday 27 November 20 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Confusing about the natural/lawful isn't it.

Good find on the son Malcolm in 1824. Certainly looks like Black for Flora's maiden name on the image.

Sarah/Sally/Marion are common variants. See www.whatsinaname.net/php/search.php?action=search2&search_name=sarah  I think this is the best site to check always for first name variants...some obvious, some less so.

Have you viewed the image for Sally McIntyre in 1815?

Monica

Very confusing. Lawful in Glasgow but natural in Fort William. I've attached the 1815 Sally McPherson.
Thank you for the alternative name link. I knew Sarah/Sally were variants but didn't realise Marion was too.

Offline annby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Saturday 28 November 20 07:06 GMT (UK) »
Big drum roll - I have found Alexander McIntyre's death certificate. He died in Oban in 1889, as the widower of Sarah McPherson and notified by son Colin. His parents are named as Colin and Janet MS McDonald.
His age is given as 65, which is what threw us off in the first place as the 1881 census has him at 74 - in 8 years he's become 9 years younger, which is some going!
I've found a marriage for his parents in 1800 in Kilininian and Kilmore and various children born to them, mainly in Morvern. No Alexander, predictably - unless there's a missing record, I suspect he's Colin.
Kilininian and Kilmore
1804 - Mairon
Morvern
1805 - John
1808 - Mary
1812 - Isobel
1814 - Colin
1817 - Isobel
1819 - Colin
Kilmallie
1826 - James
So mission #1 accomplished but still lots to keep me busy!