Author Topic: Peterborough  (Read 500 times)

Offline Gary Barnett

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Peterborough
« on: Sunday 22 November 20 22:03 GMT (UK) »
I have a record of a christening which took place in the Peterborough Minster Precincts in 1845. It is the only christening that year in the register.

Can anyone tell me if the christening would have taken place in the Cathedral itself?

The child’s family were resident in the Precincts at the time, I believe her father was a footman employee by one of the senior clerics connected to the Cathedral.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Peterborough
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 November 20 08:28 GMT (UK) »
How about trying someone who works at the cathedral who may be able to help you, email address and phone number on link contact information:

https://www.peterborough-cathedral.org.uk/home/library-archives.aspx

Offline Gary Barnett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 November 20 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion. I have been in touch with the Cathedral archives, but I wasn’t able to get an answer to my question. A personal visit was suggested, but with everything that has happened this year, I haven’t got round to it.

I posted my query on here because I thought others might have researched Peterborough Minster Precincts births and discovered where the Christenings  took place.

Offline MerryKerry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 December 20 15:06 GMT (UK) »
I shall be in Peterborough in January....I love going to the cathedral (to Catherine of Aragon s grave!) I'd be happy to check anything out for you in person, if you still need the info then and if I can help!

Offline Gary Barnett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 December 20 16:05 GMT (UK) »
That’s a very kind offer! I’ve been meaning to pay a visit to Peterborough for some time, but haven’t managed it yet.

I’m research a family named Pitts who lived in the Minster Previncts between 1840 and 1880. Several of their children were born and Christened there. One of my queries is where exactly they would they have been Christened? In the Cathedral itself or a chapel of some kind within the precincts. I don’t know how to go about finding out, which is why I reached out here. Help!

Offline MerryKerry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 December 20 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Peterborough cathedral have a fantastic and very knowledgeable team of volunteers. I shall call in and speak with one of them when I'm over in January. If you've any other questions for me to ask,  just PM me.