Author Topic: peter bywaters 15.10.1785 glasgwn.  (Read 2018 times)

Offline karenritchie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: peter bywaters 15.10.1785 glasgwn.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 28 November 20 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Is there any other way of finding out dates/ places of birth for john bywater and jane morris ( both died 1826 Llanwnogg)? :-Many Thanks

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 November 20 20:26 GMT (UK) »
at the period of your interest, all you can check is parish records and not everything is online. When Jane Morris married Peter Bywater, she was a widow, so unless you can find a possible first marriage, you won't know what name to look for.

Think I may have just found the will of her first husband. Will of Richard Morris of Llanbadarn Fynydd written 28 March 1770 and registered 18 May 1771 by his executrix and widow, Jane. The will mentions there were no children to the marriage at the time the will was written.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01q31/

There's mention of estate in Llananno and there's a marriage licence dated 24 May 1766 for Richard Morris of Llananno and Jane Williams of Llandegley. This marriage is online and you can access the parish entry for it via FindmyPast. Marriage was 28 May 1766, both signed and the witnesses were Thomas Williams & Meredith Jones.

You can get copies of the marriage licences from the National Library
https://www.library.wales/services/enquiries/nlw-enquiries

It may be that Jane was born in Llandegley, being of the parish at time of marriage doesn't mean that she was born there.

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/RAD/Llandegley

Possible baptism in Llandeglau 23 March 1739 for Jane, daughter of William Williams and Ann. There's a page of the register given over to the Williams family that suggest some standing in the parish. Other siblings
Catherine baptised 1732
Ann bp 18 Jan 1735
Mary bp 31 Aug 1739
Sarah bp 20 Sep 1743
Thomas bp 19 May 1745
James bp 18 Dec 1749
Lidia bp 14 July 1751

But no way of knowing if this is the correct Jane Williams. It's not an unusual name.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline karenritchie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 November 20 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for all this info.
I've just found out that John bywater ( born abt 1742? Radnorshire)( died 1826 Llanwnogg, montgomeryshire,) had several other sons other than Peter (born1775 ,Glascwm  radnor). They were Thomas, James and John ( he died pre1826)
Apparently John bywater( abt1742 to 1826) was a schoolteacher. There is a record from a relative that a bywater founded a school in Barmouth, and that they originated from tanners in Yorkshire.
I'll follow up the info you've given me
If you can find any further info re. John and sons plus any links to Yorkshire. Many Thanks Karen

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 November 20 17:08 GMT (UK) »
where did your relative find this record of the school? Not many appearances of the surname Bywater in Merionethshire records.
There are some records of interest
Llanenddwyn
4 Feb 1804 Joshua, son of Thomas Bywater & Mary his wife
22 Jan 1806 Abraham, son of Thomas Bywater and Mary his wife
Llanaber
27 Dec 1816 Richard son of Thomas Bywater, schoolmaster, & Mary of Barmouth - Richard was buried 3 March 1817 aged 10 weeks

Burial in Llanaber 21 April 1824 for Mary Bywater 55 of Barmouth

Possible remarriage 4 Dec 1829 in Trawsfynydd for Thomas Byewater, widower, and Jonett Williams. Thomas signed Bywater and Jonett marked.
Burial in Ffestinig 25 May 1851 of Thomas Bywater 76

1851 census Ffestiniog Ho107/2512 folio 210 pg 10
Thomas Bywater head mar 76 shopkeeper b. Herefordshire (blind)
Jennett wife 56 b. Trawsfynydd

So, a Thomas Bywater who was a schoolmaster in Barmouth, but not your John born 1742.

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline karenritchie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 18 December 20 12:50 GMT (UK) »
I'm currently trying to determine the birthplace and parents of John Bywater (1742 -1826)(father of Peter)
He married Jane Morris in 1771 (she was a widow , maiden name Jane Williams) at LLanbadarn Fynydd, Radnordhire
John died at Llanwnogg.
I can find lots of Johns from Yorkshire but few in Wales. (I was informed that  my Bywater family originated from tanners in Yorkshire?). Any ideas??