Author Topic: original bap records online for St Hilda's Church South Shields  (Read 874 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: original bap records online for St Hilda's Church South Shields
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 March 24 00:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello I just came across this post as I am trying to see the original parish registers for South Shields before 1727.

I am looking into Thomas Matthews, a butcher, who grave stone is one of the few that is still in the churchyard of St Hilda which I saw when I visited last year. It states 10 of his children were also buried there.

His will names children Robert Matthews, Thomas Matthews and Ann Burdon, but not the Isabel wife of Gerrard Anderson also named on his stone, so I assume she predeceased him.

The gravestone looks like his wife Elizabeth is also on the stone, but his will was proved by a Jane. So were there two wives?

I can't see being able to work this out without viewing the registers online, but from what I can see only the BTs post 1763 can be consulted. Can anyone please tell me if this is correct?

Thank you,
Jon

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 March 24 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello I just came across this post as I am trying to see the original parish registers for South Shields before 1727.

I am looking into Thomas Matthews, a butcher, who grave stone is one of the few that is still in the churchyard of St Hilda which I saw when I visited last year. It states 10 of his children were also buried there.

His will names children Robert Matthews, Thomas Matthews and Ann Burdon, but not the Isabel wife of Gerrard Anderson also named on his stone, so I assume she predeceased him.

The gravestone looks like his wife Elizabeth is also on the stone, but his will was proved by a Jane. So were there two wives?

I can't see being able to work this out without viewing the registers online, but from what I can see only the BTs post 1763 can be consulted. Can anyone please tell me if this is correct?

Thank you,
Jon

Hi
To the best of my knowledge (and I would LOVE to be proved wrong) you are unlikely to find anything other than the BTs online and, as you say, they don't cover the right time frame.
The originals of these registers are held at The Durham Record Office  which is currently closed while they move to new premises but last we heard they are to open in June.

Tyne and Wear Archives hold them on microfilm, and I'd imagine that South Tyneside Local History Library in South Shields may well have them on microfilm too but you'd need to check with them.

Newcastle Library have manuscripts of transcriptions by Herbert Maxwell Wood (which are usually pretty reliable)
The LDS have digitised those, but they can only be viewed at a Family History Centre if you have one near you - baptisms and marriages have been indexed so can be searched from home but burials are, as yet, unindexed.

So if you aren't in the North East and therefore easily able to visit local archives, try searching the baptisms/marriages indexed in these
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/171149?availability=Family%20History%20Library

If you get a likely result and can give a date and details then someone local to the area may be willing to do a lookup at TWAS or South Shields for you.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 March 24 15:57 GMT (UK) »
You may already have this, but just in case . .

You said that Thomas' will in 1727 mentioned a wife called Jane and a son called Robert.

There is this admin bond that looks quite possible  to be a match?
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DRG3-7S4?i=17&cc=2353049

Boo

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 March 24 16:02 GMT (UK) »

You said that Thomas' will in 1727 mentioned a wife called Jane and a son called Robert.

Boo

Thanks so much Boo. I had indeed found that and am trying to work out who was who. The grave says he had 10 children who are buired there, but with those ten and the others in the will and on the grave this is 14 children and it seems like he must have had two wives.

I have just discovered though that the daughter Isabel who married Gerrard Anderson did not actually die before her father and actually married as Elizabeth in 1741, so I do not know why she is not named in his will!

It means the stone must have been erected after her death. I need to try and find out if South Shields inscriptions are recorded anywhere before all the stones were moved. I think I did post about this is the South Shields history group on facebook and I went to check, only to find there is a global facebook and instagram outage!

Thanks again for looking.

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 March 24 16:09 GMT (UK) »

Boo

Oh no actually Boo that is Robert's bond! No I actually hadn't seen that one. I just assumed it was the Thomas Mathews one which I had seen here: https://familyrecords.awh.durham.ac.uk/nei/ So thank you!

This family is nothing to do with me but the gravestone just intrigued me and I wanted to see if I could put a name to the 10 children on the graves, but it seems I am unable to view the burials from home.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 05 March 24 16:18 GMT (UK) »
The link I posted was Robert being bonded to administer his mother's ( Jane)  estate

Boo

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 05 March 24 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Oh yes so it is! That is super helpful. Thanks very much.