Author Topic: William ( younger ) Innes  (Read 6724 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: William ( younger ) Innes
« Reply #27 on: Friday 27 November 20 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Well, it has taken me a while, but I found it. It's an e-mail, not a letter, and it is only 16 years old, not 25. Also I could only find a print-out of it, not the electronic version, so I have scanned it.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't realise that it would all be displayed on the thread!

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 27 November 20 17:52 GMT (UK) »
You certainly pushed the boat out Forfarian!

I have no idea whether this is connected or of any use as I can't read any of it?  ::)

Will of Alexander Innes of Banff , Banffshire but you need to log in to download it free

"Reference: PROB 11/1604/287
Description: Will of Alexander Innes of Banff , Banffshire
Date: 20 May 1818"

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D226379

I think it's one for the Handwriting Deciphering & Recognition board.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 27 November 20 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Regarding his wife Margaret McDonald she used an alais McAlister.

Can you tell us where you've seen Margaret with the surname McAlister?

It was common in the Highlands (at least on the islands & still to this day) for people to be referred to by many different things such as their occ./hair colour/size etc. but always minus their surname e.g...
Margaret Alister = Margaret, dau of Alexander which may have been taken to mean the surname MacAlister?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 27 November 20 20:00 GMT (UK) »
I have no idea whether this is connected or of any use as I can't read any of it?  ::)
Will of Alexander Innes of Banff , Banffshire but you need to log in to download it free.
No, I think not.

The handwriting is fine but the digital image is messy, making it harder than it should be to read. He names various of his siblings and their spouses and children, none of whom have anything to do with the Glenlivet Innes family at the other end of the county.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Dufftown

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 28 November 20 15:17 GMT (UK) »
I am not ready to reply about the marriage of William Innes and Janet Cameron. Perhaps later.
1) I consider this William as now being William ( younger ) Innes with his 2nd wife Janet Cameron.
2)  William ( younger ) Innes and Margaret Grant was Williams' 1st wife.
3) William and Margaret Grant had 1 child, namely Alexander Innes. It is assumed that Margaret Grant died. This is what we were discussing.
William in Montreal

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 28 November 20 17:50 GMT (UK) »
It was indeed, but there doesn't seem to be any doubt those facts so I am not sure that there is anything to be gained discussing it further, unless you have one or more specific questions arising from it.

Offline Dufftown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 29 November 20 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Alexander Innes was a Chelsea Pensioner and son of William ( elder ) Innes. This is a Report from the Gordon Highlanders.

Offline Dufftown

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 29 November 20 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Alexander Innes born 10 Jan.1808 was the son of William ( younger ) Innes and his 1st wife Margaret Grant.
The witness to Alexander Innes birth 10 Jan.1808 was Alexander Innes, soldier.
Alexander Innes, soldier can therefore be only Alexander Innes, Chelsea Pensioner and son of William ( elder ) Innes and McDonald.
I am, also saying that,  William ( younger ) Innes and Alexander Innes son of William ( elder ) Innes were brothers.

William in Montreal

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 29 November 20 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Alexander Innes born 10 Jan.1808 was the son of William ( younger ) Innes and his 1st wife Margaret Grant.
The witness to Alexander Innes birth 10 Jan.1808 was Alexander Innes, soldier.
Alexander Innes, soldier can therefore be only Alexander Innes, Chelsea Pensioner and son of William ( elder ) Innes and McDonald.
I am, also saying that,  William ( younger ) Innes and Alexander Innes son of William ( elder ) Innes were brothers.
Yes, I get all that, and I think you are probably right.

But implicit in those statements are two assumptions: (a) that William Innes, husband of Margaret Grant, was also married to Janet Cameron and (b) that Alexander Innes, soldier, was the brother of William Innes rather than a cousin or indeed unrelated to him?

1. What evidence do you have that Janet Cameron's husband was the widower of Margaret Grant?
2. What evidence do you have that Alexander Innes, soldier, was the brother of Margaret Grant's husband?