Author Topic: Tudor/Rabone -Birmingham  (Read 1209 times)

Offline Sandyq

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Tudor/Rabone -Birmingham
« on: Wednesday 25 November 20 15:05 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying to trace my late mothers half brother for a long time, and wonder whether anyone on this site can help me.

This is what I know, he was born on 28th September 1905 Leslie Tudor, in Erdington, illeg. son of my grandmother Lily Tudor.

Lily went on to marry Samuel Rabone in 1909, and on the 1911 census Leslie is shown as Leslie Tudor Rabone.

Leslie married Henrietta Gannon in 1926, there are two indexes shown, i) B.Ham N Leslie Rabone 6d 903, and 2) Leslie Tudor 6d 902a they had a son Dennis L born 1927 Birmingham
There are two indexes for his birth 1)  Dennis L Rabone 2) Dennis L Tudor both shown as 6d 689

I knew from my mother that this marriage broke down, but I don't know when.

I haven't been able to trace any records for either Leslie or his son Dennis using either name, and I have checked all entries on the 1939 Register using the advance search involving date of birth.

No one in the family ever knew what became of them.

Would it have been possible that they changed names to avoid being found for some reason ?

Again using the 1939 Register I believe I have found Leslies wife Henrietta (dob 10/1/1904) calling herself Henrietta Hathaway living with a John Hathaway ( but no sign of a marriage) there is no sign of Dennis who would be 12 but several entries are marked officially closed.

Is it possible Dennis was given for adoption ?(there is no sign of him dying)

Any help/suggestions would be warmly appreciated
Yapp - Ludlow Shropshire
Rawlings - Shropshire
Tudor - Aston Birmingham
Rabone - Aston Birmingham
Clayton - Aston Birmingham
Phillips - Birmingham, Redditch
Bower -Sheffield,Boston,
Barnett- Birmingham
Elson- Birmingham
Walton -Birmingham, Solihull
Green - Birmingham
Maling - Birmingham
Cain - Birmingham
Cheetham - Sheffield
Sharratt -Burton on Trent
New- Hampshire, Coalville

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tudor/Rabone -Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 November 20 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Have you got Dennis L's exact date of birth and looked for him that way?  Have you looked for deaths, also for Leslie and Dennis using exact dates of birth, including not specifying surnames?

You have put that no-one in the family knew what became of them - does that mean that as far as you are aware no contact was made by him after 1930's to his mother/grandmother?

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 November 20 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Leslie Tudor/Rabone is in some trees on Ancestry.  However, those that quote a death unfortunately pick the one for a Leslie Rabone who was born in Kings Norton in 1906.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 November 20 09:19 GMT (UK) »
You have put:
'Again using the 1939 Register I believe I have found Leslies wife Henrietta (dob 10/1/1904) calling herself Henrietta Hathaway living with a John Hathaway ( but no sign of a marriage) there is no sign of Dennis who would be 12 but several entries are marked officially closed.'

I cannot quote details of that 1939, but have you worked out the relationships of the children who are showing to Henrietta and John?

Offline Sandyq

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 November 20 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chempat,
I haven't got Dennis L exact date of birth, but I've searched all Dennis's born in Jan,Feb and March 1927, nothing for Tudor,Rabone, Gannon or Hathaway came up. I have looked for deaths but didn't know I could search by  date of birth so I will look at that.
You're right that as far as I'm aware Leslie never made contact with his mother or siblings after the 1930's. I've seen the incorrect Ancestry trees using the 1906 birth at Kings Norton.
Regarding Henrietta in 1939, it's complex, the childrens names are shown as Hathaway but Caswell has been written on the record, and Sidney Davis too.
In 1922 in BHam James F Caswell married Florence H Jones and they had three children 1925 James, 1928 Thomas E (died the following year) and Florence in 1930
James senior died in 1932 aged 28, and in 1936 his widow Florence H Caswell married John Hathaway, so the children shown with John and Henrietta Hathaway are John's step children.
I cannot see where Florence is,maybe the marriage broke down and Henrietta moved in, but would
Florence have left her children?
I can see a death of Florence H Hathaway aged 63 in 1967 BHam which fits.
In 1946 Henrietta Hathaway married Sidney Davis in Coventry, so that is the link to the Sidney Davis mentioned on the 1939 register.
Told you it was complex ! John Hathaway died in B.Ham in 1952 aged 49
None of that unfortunately gets me any closer to finding what became of Leslie
Perhaps he changed his name for anonimity? Can I trace deaths by birth dates on FindMyPast ?
Many thanks for your involvement
Yapp - Ludlow Shropshire
Rawlings - Shropshire
Tudor - Aston Birmingham
Bower -Sheffield,Boston,
Barnett- Birmingham
Elson- Birmingham
Green - Birmingham
Maling - Birmingham
Cain - Birmingham
Cheetham - Sheffield
Sharratt -Burton on Trent
New- Hampshire, Coalville

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 November 20 11:03 GMT (UK) »
In 1922 in BHam James F Caswell married Florence H Jones and they had three children 1925 James, 1928 Thomas E (died the following year) and Florence in 1930
James senior died in 1932 aged 28, and in 1936 his widow Florence H Caswell married John Hathaway, so the children shown with John and Henrietta Hathaway are John's step children.
I cannot see where Florence is,maybe the marriage broke down and Henrietta moved in, but would
Florence have left her children?
I can see a death of Florence H Hathaway aged 63 in 1967 BHam which fits.
In 1946 Henrietta Hathaway married Sidney Davis in Coventry, so that is the link to the Sidney Davis mentioned on the 1939 register.

I could not decide whether John Hathaway with extra children and Florence still around meant that it was more or less likely that Dennis was with them, but if the children are in age order, who is at position 3, and 4 more redacted after 1930 birth?

Dates of birth on death certificates start from June quarter 1969 on freebmd.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 November 20 11:08 GMT (UK) »
There are 3 Tudor/Gannon births in Birmingham, 1927, 1929, and 1930.  Are they all from the same family?

1929 and 1930 births both died young.

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 November 20 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Came to the same results chempat, just to add I believe Florence E Caswell (1930) went on to marry a Joseph T Davis in 1950 Birmingham.

John

Offline Sandyq

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 November 20 11:30 GMT (UK) »
I wasn't aware of the other births/deaths of children, only knew of Dennis, but there aren't any other
marriages with those name combinations so most likely they are the same family.
Leslie would have been 9 when my mother was born, and think they had a good relationship as my
 given middle name is Lesley, people didn't open up as much years ago, I certainly didn't know my grandmother Lily Tudor had a child out of wedlock until I started researching, probably my mother didn't know either, she certainly didn't speak of it, but she did wonder what became of Leslie.

Do you know how/why comments are added onto the 1939 Register with no explanation, or why redactions are made ?
Many thanks
Yapp - Ludlow Shropshire
Rawlings - Shropshire
Tudor - Aston Birmingham
Bower -Sheffield,Boston,
Barnett- Birmingham
Elson- Birmingham
Green - Birmingham