Author Topic: Diary > Thursday 26th November  (Read 914 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Thursday 26th November
« Reply #9 on: Friday 27 November 20 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Caroline, I know what you mean about getting carried away in a good book. Is it one you'd like to recommend? I'm currently reading A Man Called Ove, it's heart reading and so funny at the same time. It's 99p on Kindle at the moment.
What a lovely idea re the jewellery, I'm sure you'll enjoy joining in and also seeing all the other pieces.

MH, my art teacher records the class so we can go back and see her advice, it's very useful. Viewing is limited to the class of course. I faff about too much to record anything I do! My Christmas card that I've been working on for a while has an acrylic pour base, I did another one like that a couple of years ago but was horribly disappointed with the printing colours when the cards were delivered, hope they get it right this time. The art teacher has been demonstrating a number of different techniques within acrylic pour, then we choose a couple to do.
Hope you manage to get your Morris dancing practice again. In light of the further discussion about Spanish flu, perhaps the question should be 'What have the Chinese learned to carry forward?'

Viktoria, would you not be able to collect any further prescription from the hospital pharmacy while you are there? It would save any further messing about (or tara whatsit!).
Re the oat cakes, Tesco have a very good selection.

GillG, so many people for you to worry about but how kindhearted of you to think of them all and contact them, I'm sure that really helped them.

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 27 November 20 16:49 GMT (UK) »
QUOTE "In light of the further discussion about Spanish flu, perhaps the question should be 'What have the Chinese learned to carry forward?"

The Chinese admit to deaths PER CAPITA of population which equates to around one tenth of the deaths the UK government admits to, (that UK figure being considerably less than the figure stated by the Office of National Statistics).

The media stated the Chinese went door to door and tested a city of 9 million people to avoid a massive Covid spike, so it seems to me they have coped with the pandemic rather better than UK and USA.

Obviously if anything could be done better to avoid animal viral mutations crossing to humans in the first place, that would be good!! 

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 November 20 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Viktoria
I remember the oatcakes you mean. more like rough pancakes and great for rolling round stuff as you say.  I can't remember the last time I saw those, but I believe they come from Staffordshire and it looks like they can be bought online.  https://staffordshireoatcakes.com/index.php   The ones I buy are the biscuity type, rather hard like crackers, but very tasty.  You will find them in all the supermarkets, but Nairns are the best because they use sustainable palm oil (my daughter is very keen on responsible shopping and keeps me on the straight and narrow!).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 November 20 17:26 GMT (UK) »
You may find that the "soft" Staffordshire Oatcakes have been renamed as "North Staffordshire Oatcakes" - at least by some of the supermarkets.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 November 20 17:27 GMT (UK) »
My local Tesco has Staffordshire oatcakes (or at least it did when I was in that aisle a couple of weeks ago), but that might be because I'm not far from Staffordshire and it's a nod to local tastes. I couldn't see them on the Tesco website just now.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk