Author Topic: Finding William Moore  (Read 4873 times)

Offline txorimalo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Finding William Moore dead
« Reply #45 on: Friday 21 January 22 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Margaret Moore, married to William Moore, night watchman. Died 10 July 1893...

Can't really decipher the address - maybe 63 Burgess Street?

Do her parent's names match those of William's first wife (Margaret's sister)? Who was the informant, was it William, or someone else?

'Married to...' suggests he was still alive at this time.

Ruth
Was does 'night watchman' means?

Parents are the same of Willian's first wife. Henry Close (brickmaker) deceased and Jane Close (maide surname Petrie) deceased.

Signature and qualification of informant: Margaret Moore 'daugters'? present

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 21 January 22 18:34 GMT (UK) »

Like a security guard - in my experience, it's quite a common occupation for (relatively) older men, who have retired from their trade or profession. I've come across it quite often in my ancestors.

Margaret Moore, daughter, (present) - that means that their daughter Margaret was present when she died. Usually, it also indicates that the informant was living with the deceased at the time of death, otherwise the informant's usual address would also appear here.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline txorimalo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 21 January 22 21:55 GMT (UK) »

Like a security guard - in my experience, it's quite a common occupation for (relatively) older men, who have retired from their trade or profession. I've come across it quite often in my ancestors.

Margaret Moore, daughter, (present) - that means that their daughter Margaret was present when she died. Usually, it also indicates that the informant was living with the deceased at the time of death, otherwise the informant's usual address would also appear here.

Ruth
Thanks!
So William Moore dead had to be between 1893 and 1925. His maiden surname was Goggin. Have search it in SP, but no ocurrences.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 21 January 22 23:46 GMT (UK) »
I think I've finally found a death for your William Moore - I think he's the William Moore, aged 61, who died in Glasgow Blythwood in 1893 - he died a couple of months after his wife.

'William Moore, night watchman, widower of Margaret Close'. The address is the same as on Margaret's death registration, and daughter Margaret Moore was the informant again.

Parents are given as Charles Moore, general labourer (deceased) and Jane Watson (deceased).

Clearly there are a few discrepancies with the information you have - not the least being his age - but it does look like it's him. It's quite possible his daughter didn't know how old he was - she certainly managed to shave a bit off her own age - she appears in the 1901 census aged 28, and then marries later the same year (to a William Fraser) at aged 29 - but we know from her DOB of 1868, she would actually have been 33 in Dec 1901.

The mother's name doesn't seem to match either - Scotland's People have it indexed as Watson, but it's actually very difficult to read - although from your previous thread, you say that you have a record on which the maiden name looks like 'Goxyn', which could be Watson, I guess. I'd recommend getting the record and seeing whether you think it matches the other documents you have.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline txorimalo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 22 January 22 09:50 GMT (UK) »
I think I've finally found a death for your William Moore - I think he's the William Moore, aged 61, who died in Glasgow Blythwood in 1893 - he died a couple of months after his wife.
Thank you very much Ruth  :)

It is clearly him. The maiden surname 'Watson' and the record i have in spannish 'Goxyn' can be phonetically same. Charles Moore was labourer, like i knew. The street and the other things connect with my info. What seems to be incorrect is the mother name of William, which was Mary, but maybe Margaret daugther didn't know what it was...
Could it be common to confuse 'Jane' name with 'Mary'?

(I don't understand in what day William dead, i attach the piece of the record)

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 22 January 22 10:23 GMT (UK) »
It looks like 1st October 1893 to me, but it is quite difficult to read.

I suspect that Margaret never knew her paternal grandmother - it seems likely she died well before she was born. However, she must have at least known who her maternal grandmother was - Jane Close (nee Petrie) is with the family in Glasgow in 1871. I think this is possibly just a case of Margaret not knowing, so she gave a name she did know - I've seen this happen a few times - although it's interesting that she appeared to know her grandmother's maiden name, or at least a version of it.

Death registrations are the least reliable source of information like this, as - by definition - the information isn't given by the individual themselves.

Ruth

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Finding William Moore
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 22 January 22 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Just a pity it wasn't a family member although it does seem to be the correct chap.

Posting this as Robert may turn out to be a brother of Charlton & it's possibly a good clue to their mothers' maiden name?

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J78Q-3ZL

Annie

I looked at this thread via a link from a subsequent thread.

I think there has been a misunderstanding here.
The record on the image is from the burial register of St Nicholas, Newcastle upon Tyne. The date is the date of burial, not the date of death and the signature is not an informant but the clergyman who entered the record into the burial register.

Its not a death register entry or the information that would appear on the death certificate.
To get a copy of the actual death registration it would have to be applied for via
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/login.asp
it would cost £7 for a copy register entry delivered by email.
and would give the date and place of death, name & age of the deceased, his occupation, cause of death, plus the name and address of whoever the informant was - who may (or may not) be related to the deceased.
Boo

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 22 January 22 12:12 GMT (UK) »
So glad you took our advice to view Margaret's death certificate :). It's strange that the family cannot be found in the 1881 census though.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Finding William Moore
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 22 January 22 19:34 GMT (UK) »
As with all other records, Census records depend on the accuracy of the record-taker. I found a branch of my tree featuring people alled McKie listed as MacKay.  Even worse, my Archer ancestors could not be found until I realised that the enumerator had misheard my ancestor's County Mayo accent and assumed the family name was Arshard.

If you widen your search to add in "More", "Moor" and similar sounding names something might pop up.