Author Topic: Diary > Sunday 29th November  (Read 750 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Sunday 29th November
« on: Sunday 29 November 20 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Early tonight, am so tired.

Another of those nights when I was awake for hours, finally got to sleep, woke to a wet morning. Went out late morning after the rain had stopped, not as cold as yesterday.

Some of the neighbours opposite were putting up Christmas decorations outside, there are quite a number on that side of the road now. Don't know about beginning to look a lot like Christmas, at this rate it'll be looking a lot like Las Vegas. I do like Christmas decorations but some of them are just naff. Inflatable Santas don't float my boat.

After lunch I did some work to my Christmas card painting and also some for the current project for art class. Took ages clearing everything away again. Sat down with a cup of tea and sent a message to my friend J to ask how she and her daughter were after her daughter tested positive for Covid. Her daughter is allowed out on Tuesday but J herself has lost her sense of smell and taste. She said she's okay otherwise but nevertheless it wasn't what I was hoping to hear. I know I don't have a right to feel depressed when it's not me who's got it but I must confess it's getting me down. I really hope they're the only symptoms she gets,

Not sure what else I did, certainly nothing noteworthy. Was thinking about roasting the chicken I bought but couldn't be bothered, felt tired after losing out on my sleep. Had scampi for tea instead, nice and easy with a jacket potato, peas and tomatoes.

Hope everyone is well.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Sunday 29th November
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 November 20 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Roobarb - it’s being said that  sales of Christmas trees have gone through the roof and people are going to town this year with decorations and putting them up earlier to cheer themselves up.... sounds like your neighbours are doing just that... I saw the first lot of outside lights go on at one of my neighbours up the road... coloured ones threaded through the hedge that flash... I’m soooo glad they’re not opposite us! Can’t say these blow up things do much for me either!
Sorry to hear that your friend J is still suffering... let’s hope for a speedy recovery for her. It’s hard to feel motivated in the gloomy weather but we’ll just have to think of those down under who are sweltering in the heat!
Hope you feel a bit better tomorrow...

Got up really late this morning as it was another dull day and I was happy in bed reading... OH got up later than me 😱😱...
Had a late breakfast and read the papers... My son has been pestering me for ideas so had a look and found some sewing items I could do with so sent him links for them... I’ve been using smile.amazon as you can pick your charity and they get revenue from your purchases... the boys school is one of them... think I wrote this the other day.... anyway I looked to see what contribution my purchases had made and was horrified to read a big fat ZERO 😱😱😳. What... well on reading further it would appear that even though you’re buying through smile not all items 
are covered... you have to read carefully and if it says ‘eligible for smile donations’ you’re ok... cheeky way of doing it....
Did some general tidying up and after lunch we played scrabble... a tight game and in the end a draw... so OH is still two games ahead!
I thought I’d get my craft kit out to get some more cards ready to do... made another dozen then got dinner ready... roast chicken, pots, parsnips, broccoli and cauliflower and carrots... a couple of glasses of wine... we’ve fallen off the wagon this week so must try harder next week!
Watched some tv... the sum total of another day... oh the excitement is hard to cope with....
I wonder how others have found it....
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 November 20 06:32 GMT (UK) »

Well, here in Australia Christmas is just not quite as sparkly as usual somehow. Although my home state of Victoria is Covid free and has been for weeks, the very severe and long  lockdown which brought about the semi-elimination of the virus has left many finding it hard to find their usual enthusiasm for festivity.

The shops are trying hard with the carols piping through the speakers and opportunities to purchase all manner of what not, but it feels a bit sluggish and flat at this stage. Those who have lost employment and had severe restrictions placed on their business operations feel it greatly.
Yes we have reason to be joyful, but there is a shadow still.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 November 20 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Before I read Sue’s reply, I was planning to contribute today.

I ventured to a large shopping centre early on Sunday in order to avoid the crowds, not due to any COVID concerns as here in Queensland we have no current cases - I just dislike crowds.

Was in and out quickly - bought what I had come to buy, but on the way out the car park was full to heaving, and there were throngs of shoppers everywhere. Despite having no cases of the virus, I thought there might be some impact on people’s finances, and the shops might be emptier, but I did not get the impression that was the case. Spend spend spend. Consume consume consume. Possibly they are spending the lump sums of money distributed by the government to certain groups of people.

Everything seemed “normal”.

Weather dreadful - hot and humid.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 November 20 10:17 GMT (UK) »
I am not a lover of these gaudy lights that flash, next door to us have a 9 year old, decs gone out this weekend, I have never put any outside and I will not join the competition, when my daughter was young we put our decs up about 10 days before Christmas, we never had any problems with her keep asking when Father Christmas was coming, I can see now with decs gone up her 2/3 weeks ago Christmas will be a long time coming for some little ones
We have our lights and tree indoors

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 November 20 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Another sad day; the death of a very good friend.

When we moved to Radstock 18 years ago from Bradford on Avon we had to build a new circle of friends and contacts. Although I was born here we moved away when I was 9 and I had lost contact with most of my former acquaintances.

But all was not lost. OH was a member of the Methodist Circuit Choir and one of the members, M, lived at Westfield and her father lived just three doors away from our new home.
We had arranged with the Agent for access to the bungalow afew days before completion so that we could do some basic decoration and have new carpets laid before we moved in.
On that first day of preps M appeared at the door "Dad said he had heard that you would be here today and so I have come to welcome you to Westfield", and with that produced a home baked cake and some homegrown tomatoes and a card.  Good start!

And as time went on our friendship grew with M and her husband G.
We had similar interests. He palyed the organ at his local Methodist Church, he was interested in preserved staem railways, he liked theatre organs and brass bands...we couldn't go wrong. And he was involved in property matters with the local Methodist Church...all activities in which I had an interest also.

We have spent many happy times together on trips to the West Somerst Railway at Minehead, the Curzon Cinema at Clevedon to hear the restored Christie theatre organ and many more. Never in each others pockets , but always there when the need arose. Like the time Nick was so poorly 7 years ago, and likewise  when M had a serious heart operation five years ago.
Always on hand to help in whatever way.

A true Christian gentleman and we will miss him

RIP Gordon
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 November 20 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Oh Jeff, so sorry for you and of course the family concerned, my mother's anniversary is 21st December, Christmas is never the same but we have to think of the good  times had and remember them fondly

I hope you will do the usual things you have done in the past and toast to absent friends

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 November 20 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Caroline, how frustrating to think you're donating to the charity of your choice then finding out that hasn't happened. The kind thoughts were there anyway.

Sue, I think a lot of people here where we're still dealing with the pandemic think it'll be all beer and skittles once the we're out of the woods but of course as you you say, lots of people will be suffering from the results of the lockdowns.

Ruskie, that's something I really don't like about Christmas, the fact that it's just a festival of consumerism, people spending money they don't have and having to pay it back for the next year. I am a little surprised that this has been the case this year.
The shops here have been given permission to open 24 hours a day. I initially thought that was crazy but actually if it spreads out the number of shoppers at any one time it could be a good thing.

LM, one of my neighbours put her outside decorations up at the beginning of November, I don't know how people deal with the children asking when Santa is coming for such a long time!

Jeff, I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your good friend, it must be very hard for you to deal with particularly at this time. I hope your lovely memories of him will comfort you.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 November 20 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Yesterday was very cold but, as promised, I drove over to my nephews house to see Scarlett on her 12th. birthday.   All 4 girls came out to see me and we stood apart in the driveway.   Didn't stay too long as we were freezing but it was good to see them.  The were giving me virtial hugs i.e. hugging themselves!!

Sunday was a dark and dreary day although not so cold.   Spent time going through clothes/shoes and bagged up items to go to the recycling centre Monday and separate ones for delivery to the hospice warehouse in due course.

Aside from watching Strictly results show can't remember what else I watched but did do some of the current jigsaw which is surprisingly difficult.  Wasn't very hungry so just had some cheese and onion quiche with some baked beans (haven't had the latter for quite some time).

Niece still hanging in there - will be 32 weeks on Tuesday.   For her 4 hour stint at home her hubby made her a roast dinner which she loves.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk