Author Topic: Can find neither birth nor death record for Henry Dickson (b. 1840-1845)  (Read 2931 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Can find neither birth nor death record for Henry Dickson (b. 1840-1845)
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 22:12 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure every family historian on this site has come across more than 1 instance where there's conflicting info.

From what you have so far, there's nothing looking suspect.

It's a case of being satisfied yourself with evidence & circumstantial evidence.

To corroborate it all, sit down & go through everything, names/dates/ages/addresses/occupations, everything, write all those things down or use an excel spreadsheet (my favourite) to list everything & you'll soon have everything matching up.

Ages vary all the time as people were not too literate & didn't really matter back then.

The main thing (for me) doing genealogy, is to scrutinise everything, take every piece of info. from every doc.

Sponsors/Witnesses to baptisms/marriages aren't always relatives but it's what we want to see when searching.

My parents witnesses were not related to them & ditto for myself, simply good friends & their partners.

What looks to be David' DC is waiting to be viewed & it might be Henry who was the informant?  :D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 22:18 GMT (UK) »

What looks to be David' DC is waiting to be viewed & it might be Henry who was the informant?  :D

Annie

It was Hugh, Annie  ;D As mentioned earlier, he gave his address as informant as Wishaw Station. This is the same as Henry gave when marrying Charlotte in 1866. Both Hugh and Henry were engine keepers by this time I think? Hugh certainly was by 1862.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hwby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Checked that death cert, David's age is given as 47 at death, so squares with the 1861 census - good find, Monica! Parents are Hugh Dickson and Jane Dickson, ms Marshall. I'm still having no luck finding David and family in 1841, either, but I'm already much further ahead than I thought I'd get...

@Rosinish I love spreadsheets, and use them at the flimsiest excuse  ;D

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Nice wee xmas cracker to me, evidence is there, no need to fret Hwby, is there Monica!  ;D

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Hwby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 03 December 20 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Bit of an update regarding David's wife

There are several names popping up. There's the Elizabeth/Betsy Clark Henry gives as his mother in his poor relief application and marriage register, which is the only mention I find of her. There's Agnes Dickson, who appears in the censuses, but she can't be mother to at least some of the children - she'd have been between 12 and 17 when Henry and his brothers James and Hugh were born. The 1851 census shows a 13 year old Henry and then a 12 month old daughter called Agnes, so I'm thinking Agnes was step-mother to the three boys and David had two more children with her (Agnes in 1850 and Mary in 1859).

James's death certificate gives his mother as "Mary Dickson", ms Dickson, informant was his son James

Hugh's death certificate rather unhelpfully doesn't know what his parents' names are, his son William leaving it blank beyond the surname of Dickson. His wedding register gives his mother as Elizabeth Dixon, ms Dixon

Henry's death certificate gives the mother as Agnes Dickson, ms Clark

James' marriage is old parish records with no parents recorded

David's job changes between agricultural labourer and miner between records, so it does give me pause, but I suppose he could have been a labourer in Ireland, and came to Scotland to work in the mines, as I know many people did.

Regarding the boys' mother, it seems likely that the mother was Elizabeth, possibly Clark, who died young and David remarried to Agnes, maiden name also Dickson, who became stepmother and gave birth to two half-sisters. The grandchildren didn't know the details of their paternal grandparents - as evidenced by Hugh's son not knowing their names, Henry's son mashing together Agnes with the surname Clark, and James' son giving the name as Mary Dickson.

Unfortunately I've not been able to find birth records for Henry, Hugh, or James, nor a death certificate for Elizabeth (if she exists). David and Agnes's marriage is an old parish record, with no detail as to whether he's a widower or not. Their marriage isn't until 1849, so I wonder if David, first wife, and three sons aren't actually living in Ireland in 1841, hence not finding them on the census.

Thanks for the help, everyone. While there's still some questions, I have more details than I thought I'd get, and have a theory I'm pretty happy with  :) :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 03 December 20 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Good summary there  :)

Maybe leave it for a while and come back to it all. Info comes along a lot of the time that opens other doors. You have at least David's parents from his death....assuming James knew the correct details when he reported his father's death!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hwby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 03 December 20 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Good summary there  :)

Maybe leave it for a while and come back to it all. Info comes along a lot of the time that opens other doors. You have at least David's parents from his death....assuming James knew the correct details when he reported his father's death!

Monica

Cheers, and thanks for all your help - both with my Henry Dickson and his wife Charlotte in my other thread. You're right, probably best to come back to it later on down the line... I have plenty of other ancestors and they're not going anywhere  ;D