Author Topic: Icomb Vicarage  (Read 510 times)

Offline stevetewk65

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Icomb Vicarage
« on: Monday 30 November 20 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have any expert knowledge on the village of Icomb near Stow on the Wold please?

The Rose family are shown as living at The Vicarage in 1871. As Henry, the head of the household, is detailed as an agricultural labourer he clearly was not associated with the church. I read somewhere else that a building now called The Old Rectory was built in 1850.

I'm guessing that the 1850 building replaced the previous parochial house and the old building was maybe given over as almshouses or similar? That could be how the Rose family came to be there. 

Any pointers much appreciated

Thanks
Steve

Offline stevetewk65

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Icomb Vicarage
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 November 20 19:05 GMT (UK) »
PS.

All being well, I am taking a little wander round Icomb and Great Rissington next Monday (December 7th) If anyone would like anything specific photographed drop me a line.

Online Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 November 20 19:31 GMT (UK) »
The Village is Church Icombe Village.  - If you read the Enumerator's notes on Page 1 of the 1871 census.

The whole of the Parish of Bledington, Church Icomb and Icomb including Bledington and Church Icombe Villages, Cottages on Bledington Heath, the Buildings Farm, Brick Kiln Farm, Hill Farm and  cottage theron, Gail Farm and Cottage by Railway

---

Genuki - The National Gazetteer 1868

ICCOMB, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Slaughter, etc et .....  The living is a rectory..... etc etc.

----

Men in Armour for Gloucestershire 1608 - (on the net) - has the population tables from 1801 to 1901 (every 10 years)

Iccomb (Icoomb Hamlet) - 513 acres - population in 1871 total:  9

Icomb (Church Iccomb Township) - 513 acres - population in 1871 total: 179

Offline StintonLomas

• RootsChat Senior
  • I'm a Cousin - are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 November 20 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi
A 1900 old map https://maps.nls.uk/view/101453289 shows that the buildings on  the S side of the road leading towards the  church was then called Church Farm while an earlier 1885 map https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/421285/222664/12/100203 has it as Hambridge's Farm.
You have to  use the zoom out control to see it without subscribing.
Malmesbury- Bishop.
Gloucestershire-Bishop,Hicks,Higgs,Hill,Hooper,Hopkins,Pitcher,Robertson,Stinton,Terret,Woodruff.
Worcestershire-Stinton. 
Devon- Borrough or Burrow.

Online Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 November 20 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry:  Gloucestershire Baptisms: Icomb

3 March 1861, Alice Elizabeth, daughter of Henry (occupation labourer) & Eliza ROSE

abode: Church Icomb,

(abode : Church Icomb is also listed for other baptisms on this page)

Alice doesn't appear on the 1861 census with Henry & Eliza at Church Icomb

GRO INDEX

Alice Elizabeth ROSE  - mother's maiden name: JAMES

GRO Reference: 1861 M Quarter, Stow on the Wold, Volume 06A - Page 335

Offline stevetewk65

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 November 20 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Capetown,

yes, the village seems to switch names over time, sometimes Icomb and sometimes Church Icomb.It also flits between being Worcestershire and Gloucestershire! I'm ok with names on the whole I'm hoping to get to understand why an agricultural labourer would live in "The Vicarage" and where it was as I suspect it's a different building to the 1850 "Old Rectory".

Steve

Offline stevetewk65

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 November 20 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi
A 1900 old map https://maps.nls.uk/view/101453289 shows that the buildings on  the S side of the road leading towards the  church was then called Church Farm while an earlier 1885 map https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/421285/222664/12/100203 has it as Hambridge's Farm.
You have to  use the zoom out control to see it without subscribing.

Thanks for the links. Clearly shows the Rectory next to the church which I know is todays "the old Rectory", sadly doesn't show the old one though.