Author Topic: Francis McGaverin  (Read 2080 times)

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Francis McGaverin
« on: Tuesday 01 December 20 06:30 GMT (UK) »
 :) Hello all, I thought I had this family almost complete and now another web page is posting that the Convict Mathew Mcelroy 1794-  who married a Sarah McGourin in 1824 Sydney New South Wales Australia , are stating that Mathew married a Sarah Sandall I haven't found this marriage yet, only the record of Sarah Sandall's (bap.27/8/1802)  marriage to Francis McGaverin  :-\ in 1819 Windsor St. Matthews New South Wales. The name McGaverin changes throughout he also is a Convict from Cavan Co. Sentenced to Life Ireland in 1809 came out to New South Wales onboard the Providence,any help is always a Bonus. :-[

Janet :-\

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Francis McGaverin
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 December 20 01:29 GMT (UK) »
Maybe post a link to where the info. can be found in order to make sense of it?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 December 20 03:00 GMT (UK) »
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 December 20 03:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello Neale1961 thanks for your reply and yes this is the 2 sites that I found records for both of them, have just downloaded more information on Francis McGavaren in New South Wales, no nothing after this if he returned home to Ireland or died in Australia. :-[

Regards,

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 December 20 04:20 GMT (UK) »
There are a couple of possible deaths for Francis with spelling as MacGovern or MacGowan in NSW.
Do you know where he lived or names of his parents?
His marriage to Sarah Sandall that you found agrees with what I can see.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 December 20 04:30 GMT (UK) »
Is this the site you have found?
https://australianroyalty.net.au/tree/purnellmccord.ged/individual/I84092/Matthew-McElroy#tab-personal_facts
This site does not say that they married - only that they had a daughter, Mary Ann. That is possible - an illegitimate child. You could look at her 1879 death certificate to see what it says.
There is no birth record for her, and no marriage for her parents (that I can see in NSW).

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 December 20 04:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Neale1961 I had a good search on the web pages but no luck, downloaded Census 1851 for Magauan or McGovern Alameda Terrace Broadway Belfast Father John and Mother Margaret Magauran, or McGovern, Residence County Cavan,Barony Tullyhaw,parish Templeport,Townland BellaleenanCensus 1851.Francis Magauran or McGovern, a Charles and John etc. no mention of relation or age of them. No luck with FindMyPast the years are too late. :-\

Janet :-[

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 December 20 05:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello Neale1961 I have the marriage of Mathew McElroy and Sarah McGoveran in 1824 copy. Maryann McElroy married a John Tindall I also have this marriage and children. FindMypast has the marriage of Francis McGauran and Sarah Sandale New South Wales. :-[ I have just found on Ancestry that his judgement is death in the column. On another form next to his name was Lunatic Asylum some of the copies you download are very hard to read, but this one is correct. :-[ He may have not gone home to Ireland after all. :-[ I have never found the baptism of Maryann McElroy but the person she married John Tindall was mentioned on the marriage copy. :-[

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 December 20 07:55 GMT (UK) »
Just to clarify what you have.
•   31 Jan 1818 Francis McGaveren (per Providence 1810) was granted a conditional pardon
•   Francis McGovern married 1819 Windsor to Sarah Sandall  (Can you give me all the details it has on this record?)
•   1820 Jun 15-Aug 5 (from Colonial Secretary Index) Francis was sentenced to death. In reports of prisoners tried at Court of Criminal Jurisdiction; listed as McGowran (Reel 6023; X820 p.13)  You need to access this to find out what happened to him.
I doubt he returned to Ireland, unless he was sent back to England to be hanged? It seems he was involved in cattle stealing from 2 of the “big-wigs” in the colony at the time – Wentworth and Palmer. This is the link.
https://search.records.nsw.gov.au/primo-explore/fulldisplay?docid=INDEX93216&context=L&vid=61SRA&lang=en_US&search_scope=Everything&adaptor=Local%20Search%20Engine&tab=default_tab&query=any,contains,francis%20mcGowran&offset=0

•   About 1820 Sarah has a daughter named Mary Ann to Mathew McElroy
•   Sarah McGovern married 1824 NSW Mathew McElroy. She was clearly free to marry, so was Francis dead? (I can’t see this record. Can you give me all the details it has on this marriage record?)