Author Topic: Francis McGaverin  (Read 2083 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Francis McGaverin
« Reply #18 on: Friday 04 December 20 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Sarah and Francis married 13 Sept 1819, and less than a year later he was dead (hanged on 18 Aug 1820). We will never know if Sarah was pregnant with Mary Ann when he was executed, or if the child had already been born.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 04 December 20 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Morning Neale1961 I have the marriage of Matthew McElroy and Sarah McGourin held on the 2/3/1824 St. Mary's Church Sydney. Witnesses Andrew Higgins and Thomas Kennedy, carried out by the Rev. Thierry who married a lot of Convicts on the same day, Matthew's burial in 1878 is the wrong one as it was all carried out by his son Charles McElroy Albion Street Sydney, and he didn't have a son. His Profession was a cooper at Liverpool he also helped with the Parramatta Roads. Sarah's burial is also hard as their is so many of them. :-[

Janet :-\

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 04 December 20 00:35 GMT (UK) »
What other information does the marriage record contain? ages? occupations? addresses? parents?
Can you attach it here?
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 04 December 20 00:47 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Neale1961 Nothing on the marriage at all they came from Sydney Rev. T. Theirry signature and the witnesses signature's, and the date.  :-[I am searching in the Newcastle Convict records at the moment. :-[

Janet :-[

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 05 December 20 00:38 GMT (UK) »
Janet
I have put together a time line involving the various people we are looking at. See attached.
When you look at the time line, it seems quite unlikely that Mary Ann was the child of Mathew McElroy. I think she was McGoverin's.

Offline Jan Prit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 05 December 20 01:05 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning Neale1961 thanks for the record, I was trying to find more information last night my eyes are getting very tired, I printed out another copy of the Convicts I wish they were a lot bigger, however you can see along Francis McGarvin name in another column  Lunatic Asylum I downloaded this from Ancestry. I need to buy a good Magnifier but looking closer on the Trove News, it reads that Francis words that were printed, (we are very sorry to say did not do so) different to the other convicts. :-[ I have searched through Sydney Trades etc. for Mathew and Sarah only found a few entries where they lived, Parramatta, York St. Sydney and mainly Liverpool where he was a cooper in the Hotel called the Black Swan, their buried dates are hard to find as their is so many Sarah's, and another Mathew came out later with wife Alice and family. :-[ Must go and have lunch its getting hot again. Thanks again for your help, I have also sent a message to the Sydney library here they may help.
Janet :-[

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 05 December 20 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Good morning Janet;
Here is a transcript of the newspaper items. Hope this is easier for you to read.

The Sydney Gazette and NSW Advertiser; Sat 5 Aug 1820, page 2

CRIMINAL COURT
Wednesday, July 26.
Francis McGowran, Ennesley McGrath, David Bell and George Crawford, were indicted on a charge of cattle stealing, and being found guilty thereof were remanded for sentence. The prisoner, George Crawford, was found guilty as an accessary after the fact.
Thursday, July 27.
The prisoners that were tried and convicted yesterday, were this day again arraigned
for the same crime, and were all found Guilty of having feloniously stolen cattle. Remanded for sentence.

The Sydney Gazette and NSW Advertiser; Sat 19 Aug 1820, page 3

Yesterday being the day appointed for the execution of three felons, namely, Ennesley McGrath, Thomas McGowran (mistake should be Francis McGowran), and David Bell, the wretched men were taken from the county gaol soon after 8 o'clock and conveyed in a cart, with their coffins prepared, to that place of condign punishment, the conception of which is enough to strike horror into every breast.—
It is strange to say that these unhappy wretches, who were all condemned to death for the stealing of cattle, were persons in good circumstances, who were capable of getting their bread in a proper and profitable line of life.
Bell, in particular, was a man concerned in farming with a person named Develyn. McGrath was a man well known at Richmond. He was from Ireland, and but little has been known respecting him till he entered into the dreadful scheme of cattle stealing, which, in a Colony like this, is so easy accessible to the depredator, that examples are called forth to deter the crime, which is laborious to every Criminal Sessions.
As for McGowran, he was a confidential servant to a Gentleman; he abused his trust; he entered into crime, and proved himself unworthy of pardon.
McGrath and Bell died with vast concern and penitence. The other (McGowran), we are sorry to say, did not do so.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 05 December 20 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janet
The Matthew McElroy who you found that worked as a cooper, I suspect is NOT your man. I believe he is the other one who died in 1878 Paddington & who had a wife called Alice/ Alicia.

I wondered if you have looked at these deaths available on NSW BDM site.

Possible Death in 1876
MACALROY SARAH
11005/1876 DIED YASS
Father’s name UNKNOWN

Possible Death in 1880
MACALROY MICHAEL
5025/1880 DIED ALBURY
Father’s name JOHN
(On his convict record McElroy uses both Matthew and Michael as his names)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 06 December 20 00:08 GMT (UK) »
A couple of interesting snippets from Trove:

Matthew M’Elroy – Liquor license granted for the Black Swan - March 1828
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/37073396?searchTerm=%22Matthew%20Elroy*

This one is VERY interesting. It looks like he might have been in trouble with the law again.
Matthew M’Elroy – On a list of Runaways that have been apprehended (from the Principal Superintendent of Convicts' Office, June 10, 1840.)
   https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/230137806/14286637
You would have see if there are any court records from this time at the NSW Archives.

Also there are notes in the Colonial Secretaries Index for 1823 that about Matthew McIroy’s “failure to fulfil conditions of his bond”. You would need to see the document, to find out what that was about (Reel 6010; 4/3508 p.424)