Author Topic: Morton Cemetery, Burial confirmed via Ancestry. BROWN  (Read 504 times)

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Morton Cemetery, Burial confirmed via Ancestry. BROWN
« on: Friday 04 December 20 13:05 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for someone who can visit this cemetery and photograph the grave and also a close up of any headstone inscription please. I am a volunteer who carries out similar work in the Greater London area when provided with the location co-ordinates of a cemetery interment.
PC John Brown aged 34, was killed on 6th November, 1940, along with 12 of his fellow officers as a result of an exploding bomb which fell on the Kilburn Police Station, NW London. It would fulfil the completion of his archived record for the Metropolitan Police, London which do not currently contain a complete record of his sacrifice in the Line-of-Duty.
The burial is recorded as: Compartment C,  Section 16, Grave No 1.
Thank you.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Morton Cemetery, Burial confirmed via Ancestry. BROWN
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 December 20 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Copper1

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

John Brown was commemorated in the Willesden Memorial but buried in a family grave back in Thornhill, Dumfriesshire (at Morton Cemetery)?

www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/3145496/JOHN%20BROWN/

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 December 20 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Not gravestone details but further details on John Brown here http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/warmemscot-post-81980.html

Also, not suprisingly, his father Archibald is buried in the same lair in 1952 https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/9041/images/41905_6117463_0027-00094?backlabel=ReturnSearchResults&queryId=3db4ac700ac4df20a943508d7a31ab9f&pId=187511

Monica

Added: An old post here on RC on others killed on the 6 November 1940 bombing of the police station www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=339878.0

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 December 20 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Monica, it's all correct so far and the official police force records do not (yet) contain that image from the local church in Thornhill, Dumfries. I am so grateful for that submission. Excellent.
I hope in due time there will be a volunteer look-up for photographing the grave. I think it demonstrates the high esteem in which PC Brown was held by the location of his plot as Number 1 in Section C.16.

Offline brownt53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 December 20 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Dumfries and Galloway Family History Society started a project in February 2020 to photo every gravestone in every graveyard in Dumfries and Galloway. I am the Project Co-ordinator and one of the graveyards we have completed is Morton New Cemetery. There are over 1,000 graves in this cemetery but I have found what you are looking for. Unfortunately the image is too large to attach here, but if you wish to send your email address to the contact on dgfhs.org.uk website and ask that it be forwarded to Terry Brown, I will send you a copy of the original.
Although my name is also Brown, I do not think we ae related although my Brown's were also in the general Thornhill area.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 December 20 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi , welcome to RC  :)

If you reply to this post you should be able to send/receive Personal Messages(PM's).
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Copper1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 December 20 12:55 GMT (UK) »
What more could I ask for?  This is excellent news Terry, and well done the Dumfries & Galloway FHS for such a noble effort for the wider community :)
I will proceed as instructed via PM's - tackling for the first time, and request that valuable image for PC John Brown's archived file.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 December 20 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Great news!

Welcome to RootsChat from me too, Terry  :)

Monica