Author Topic: Diary > Saturday 5th December  (Read 974 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Saturday 5th December
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 December 20 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Late catching up here...
Viktoria- not sure if police have revisited about the fencing....love your takes of cribs and animals...
I have to say if I wake early I read... tooo cold to get up and start doing stuff I’d never get back to sleep! I certainly don’t think you suffer from lazyitus..

RTL - good to see you back... I too thought the homeless were being accommodated during this weather... suppose there are always some who can’t deal with things so it’s the status quo for them... hard to know what’s best to do...
Hope you get some time to relax on days off...

Annette- thank you for letting us know how the little ones are... I’m sure Mum must have been so pleased to give them a hug... onwards and upwards for them all...

MH - glad you enjoyed your trip to Buckfast Abbey... been donkeys since I visited but it was a special place to go and I enjoyed my visit there...
Thank you for your good wishes to all I’ll have one and give some back to you too.

Roobarb - glad I cleared up a little mystery for you!
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 December 20 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Roobarb, it is sad to think of you waking up crying at the start of the last lockdown.  :'( Those first days were indeed scary .. like we had all entered a science fiction story.  Good news headlines in the papers today I see though, about the beginning of the end for the virus through the hope in the new vaccine which will be administered from tomorrow!  :D

Caroline, perhaps all concerned should email the police and perhaps the local councillor about those dogs and the inadequate fencing.  This situation sounds like an accident waiting to happen if they manage to break free.  These emails could be used as evidence that concerns were raised if something does happen.  It would be awful if there was an RTA, someone got bitten or the dogs ended up getting put down after injuring someone, all because the owner isn't taking enough care.

Re: the rough sleepers .. perhaps they do have a choice.  These men do look clean and healthy so perhaps they do get help from somewhere during the day.  I think it just seems sad that whatever has happened in their lives has perhaps led them to thinking that sleeping out in a freezing cold bus station is the choice for them.

Thanks for the welcome greetings on here.  Don't mind me just popping in only now and again.  Sometimes it just feels very hard to keep up.  Perhaps it is the winter?  I feel a lot more tired now than I did in the summer.  I looked at my own journal yesterday and was surprised to see that I have made no entries since October.   

Wish we could see your Nativity scene Viktoria - although I can imagine it from your description.  Good that this has survived the years from 1965.

Annette, that is great that the babies are coming on.  The physical contact is sure to help them thrive too.

Mowsehowse, I am glad to read that you enjoyed  the majesty and tranquility of Buckfast Abbey.  It sounds like a lovely place to visit (I googled this).  What a good thing this place managed to overcome the dissolution.  What an evil, self serving tyrant that Henry VIII was!

I do hope that Carol's son is getting better and that the family are managing to stay strong too.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 December 20 08:31 GMT (UK) »
RTL quote: I am glad to read that you enjoyed  the majesty and tranquility of Buckfast Abbey.  It sounds like a lovely place to visit (I googled this).  What a good thing this place managed to overcome the dissolution.  What an evil, self serving tyrant that Henry VIII was!

I guess 500 years later "evil, self serving tyrant" does seem like an apt description, but we must remember in those days it was accepted that women were chattels and rich males did whatever they liked, (not much different even now,) while the monarch's job was to produce a male heir.....

The first abbey at Buckfast was there in 1018, but the current magnificent building was created by the monks in the late 19th century, after the Benedictines bought back the site, which they lost due to Henry Vlll's reformation.

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 December 20 08:48 GMT (UK) »
RTL - re the dog situation... it has been reported to the police by ourselves and by friends.... the police visited the people, who were surprised ‘their family pets’ were not thought of as just that! They are two Staff Bull Terriers 😱...   very frightening dogs any way... the police told them to make good the fencing and they’d be back to check..the couple are solicitors so they know the score with regard to the law!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 December 20 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

Nothing in my own day to day routine worth mentioning here but updates on the twins:

Macy taken off ventilator Friday and on to optiflow so were able to have their first cuddles with her.  Weaning Darcy off ventilator slowly.  Saturday Darcy off ventilator and were able to have first cuddles with her.  Later in day Mum was able to hold both babies together - in her own words 'our midwife let us break the rules. She shut the curtains round us and said we could do some pictures - said 'twins belong together'.  The girls both opened their eyes and looked at each other.

So progressing slowly.

Annette

Good news Annette!

As most of you know:
I am a twin - survived incubators and SCBU some 67 years ago ;D
My wife and I had twin daughters - they went into SCBU ad incubators 42 years ago.
One of those daughters has had twins of her own - SCBU and incubators 7 years ago.

All 3 sets of twins were born at Southmead Hospital, Bristol.
The SCBU unit there is also a Regional Centre - so I have seen many babies in there who were quite ill.
The staff were always so wonderful and caring ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 07 December 20 09:20 GMT (UK) »
 'twins belong together'  The girls both opened their eyes and looked at each other.

Must admit that brought a tear to my eye, I am a twin and there is a special bond in my opinion, won't tell you my story suffice to say my brother and I are still here some 78 years on, both 5lb babies, my brother is 6ft 2 ins and me a mere 5ft 8 ish, My brother and I had sympathy with each other with  illnesses and have been known to ring each other up and say something like "how's your arm", "funny you should ask but" then we would discover we were suffering similar symptoms, he knew I was pregnant and knew when my daughter was born, sadly he has moved into Devon so I don't get to see him very much

We aren't really alike in character I don't think but we usually get on well but he is a very strong character

Lovely to hear the news Annette

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 07 December 20 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Oh yes, Mowsehowse, that is true that women were chattels in those days and rich men especially, could do as they pleased.  However, all I have read about King Henry about the trail of fear, misery and death he caused during his lifetime, makes me think that he far exceeded himself in what may have been the norm for unfairness and mistreatment back then.  Didn't he give himself the nick name of 'Sir Loyal Heart'.   Sir Disloyal Heart more like.  How awful it must have been for people close to him to be obliged to speak well of him/agree with him come what may or face the consequences.   I think he was a vile man.  Boo!  Hiss! Hiss!

Caroline, I do sympathise with you and others about the dog situation.  It sounds to me like this couple are just being dismissive of your realistic concerns.  Well, I suppose this couple can't say they weren't warned if anything awful does happen.  This is not much consolation though.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 07 December 20 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Oh lovely,some good news .
Can’t imagine not holding your babies  :'(

Many owners of Staffies maintain they are loving dogs with a close affinity to children.Nanny Dogs.
They  are powerful and if they cut up rough there is great strength in that low centred four square chunky frame.
They also have a jaw which does not release,so having bitten they can’t let go so shake ,similar to shaking say a rabbit to death .
That can do terrible damage without the dog  intending that.
They were after all originally bred to bait bulls, as the general  idea was if an animal ,bull, was distressed before slaughter the meat would be tender.
Don’t know how true that is ( either the story or the theory)but generally held in far off days - seemingly-.
( I am hedging my bets!)

Of course any dog in the wrong hands can be dangerous , some lovely breeds went out of popularity because of the type of person,notably drug dealers who  had them for protection,
German Shepherds .
Doberman Pinschers .
Staffies. Crossed  with something or other  for the Pit Bulls .
Rhodesian Ridgebacks.
Mind you —— !
There is a Norfolk Terrier close by, lovely to look at but he owns the road, !

Let’s hope the fence is made really strong , or else as others I can see a serious accident,

How are the dogs when other dogs pass?Have you seen that?
Mind you guarding their territory is a bit understandable ,even though no one goes in.
I said to someone jokingly on the phone that I wished I could have a dog for Christmas ,they came back with -
“ Have you tried ordering one at Walmsley’s?”
They are our local Q Butchers.Superb meat and pork pies nicer than any I have tasted elsewhere .
Well must get on.
Cheerio ,look after yourselves everyone .Viktoria.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 07 December 20 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Oh lovely,some good news .
Can’t imagine not holding your babies  :'(

Many owners of Staffies maintain they are loving dogs with a close affinity to children.Nanny Dogs.
They  are powerful and if they cut up rough there is great strength in that low centred four square chunky frame.
They also have a jaw which does not release,so having bitten they can’t let go so shake ,similar to shaking say a rabbit to death .
That can do terrible damage without the dog  intending that.
They were after all originally bred to bait bulls, as the general  idea was if an animal ,bull, was distressed before slaughter the meat would be tender.
Don’t know how true that is ( either the story or the theory)but generally held in far off days - seemingly-.
( I am hedging my bets!)

Of course any dog in the wrong hands can be dangerous , some lovely breeds went out of popularity because of the type of person,notably drug dealers who  had them for protection,
German Shepherds .
Doberman Pinschers .
Staffies. Crossed  with something or other  for the Pit Bulls .
Rhodesian Ridgebacks.
Mind you —— !
There is a Norfolk Terrier close by, lovely to look at but he owns the road, !

Let’s hope the fence is made really strong , or else as others I can see a serious accident,

How are the dogs when other dogs pass?Have you seen that?
Mind you guarding their territory is a bit understandable ,even though no one goes in.
I said to someone jokingly on the phone that I wished I could have a dog for Christmas ,they came back with -
“ Have you tried ordering one at Walmsley’s?”
They are our local Q Butchers.Superb meat and pork pies nicer than any I have tasted elsewhere .
Well must get on.
Cheerio ,look after yourselves everyone .Viktoria.

In answer to how are these dogs with others when they pass.... they go absolutely bonkers which is why villager we spoke to passing with her two dogs had said she’d report him to the police... idle threats it would seem! As you say once they get hold of you they’re not going to let you go and could do serious damage...it does t bear thinking about these people have youngish children....

Love your story regarding the butchers shop...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK