Author Topic: Thomas Merrick, born 1610 or maybe 1622  (Read 752 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Merrick, born 1610 or maybe 1622
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 December 20 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Cheshire Wills are available on Findmypast.  I haven't looked for Thomas Merrick's.  If you don't have a sub to FindMyPast your local library probably does when they're open. 

Offline PAK

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 December 20 11:42 GMT (UK) »
I never thought of "ssonne"! So that advice was worth its weight in Goldie.... Many thanks. One or two less crucial loose ends to tidy up but well on the way now.

Offline PAK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 18 December 20 12:02 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone (perhaps especially Goldie) could help with some more transcription?
I have the marriage record of John Merrick in 1597 to Margareta Hugonett (a surname that has many different variations). Now I have been looking for any subsequent record for her, probably her death. Familysearch shows an unnamed Merricke buried 19.12.1629 said to be the spouse of John Merricke, at Weaverham. The film ref is 004201915, and image 379 of 1094 shows a Merrick baptism in one column and a Merrick burial in the adjacent column. I noted that image 1 shows Waverton but maybe Weaverham is combined on same roll.
The nub of my request is that I can't make out the forenames of either of them. The burial might be Margareta but that might be wishful thinking on my part. Any help from people with far more expertise than I would be appreciated. Thanks

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 18 December 20 22:17 GMT (UK) »
The Merricke burial 19th Dec 1620 says 'uxor John Merricke Oldfeild in Cuddington'.
So just 'wife of John Merricke' She is not entitled to a name.

The baptism on the other page is of 'Ellena Merricke fil(i)a ? Merricke de Oldfeild in Cuddington.
These BTs are very difficult to read. Not only is the filming poor, the writing is minute!
It looks as if the father's name may be Wm; I can't see it's an abbreviation for John, but I may be wrong.
Did your John have a brother William?

What a pity there is a gap in the actual registers for these years, as they are much easier to read.

If you need further transcriptions, it would be a good idea to take a screenshot around the item you're interested in, and post that on here with your query.
Don't just do the line of the baptism/ burial etc. We need a bit more than that to see how the particular scribe writes.
That saves a huge amount of time for anybody trying to help you.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline PAK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 20 December 20 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Haven't found a William Merrick yet, but John had brothers Richard and Edward.
I also looked on the maps for anywhere in the Cuddington area that might be "Oldfeild"(sic) but it looks like that name has disappeared.
I've lost access to Findmypast for this month now so will try to get this sorted as far as possible under the terms of a New Year's resolution!
Thanks and best wishes.