Author Topic: Willmot and Lusington (18th century)  (Read 260 times)

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Willmot and Lusington (18th century)
« on: Monday 07 December 20 13:12 GMT (UK) »
In 1757, the 25-year-old German immigrant Johann Friedrich Hoffmann married Elizabeth Willmot in St. Andrew's church in Holborn, London.

John, as he called himself, wrote a will in late 1778 in which he made bequests to his wife, his unmarried sister and a niece, Elenor Lusington or Susington. The will was proved in Apr 1782.

"Elenor Lusington" appears in the first line of attached extract from the will. To me, the first letter of her surname resembles the "S" in "Sum" and "Sums" or perhaps more the "L" in "London" and "Lord" in the section beginning "This will..." at the bottom.

I have been unable to find any record of Elenor or any likely other family members. John's other sister in England had the married name Hardess, so I assume that I'm looking for a Lusington-Willmot marriage.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Justin

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Willmot and Lusington/Susington (18th century)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 December 20 17:52 GMT (UK) »
I've taken a long look at the handwriting and have concluded that it is Lusington.

This is based on the observation that where he definitively pulls the end of the letter (following the larger loop) below the line and then hooks it upwards, it is certainly an L.

See in the attachment below London, Lord and the first example of Laws, compared to Seventeenth and Surrogate.  This is from the next image of the set on Ancestry.

(It doesn't follow that he does this with all examples of L.  See the second example of Laws in the attachment.)

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Willmot and Lusington (18th century)
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 December 20 06:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for casting your eagle eyes over this. I have amended the title and my OP to Lusington.

Unfortunately, I can't find any of them either