Author Topic: Thomas Walker, Convict freed 1843. What happened next?  (Read 3552 times)

Offline EstelleK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Walker, Convict freed 1843. What happened next?
« Reply #54 on: Monday 11 January 21 21:24 GMT (UK) »
I think this is your Thomas Walker??

https://www.geni.com/people/Thomas-Walker/6000000073373482825

I came across this while researching the Walker family in New Zealand for a descendant of Thomas’ son John and it confirmed much of what I had uncovered. I was still puzzling about “what happened before” though and your post has certainly helped me with that.

Carol

Offline caroline_forster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol,

thank you so much for the link, I have only had the chance to take a quick look at the bio so far but it has certainly got me interested!

I think the Thomas Walker profile could be a melding of two Thomas Walkers born around the same time in the Northallerton area (and possibly even another Thomas Walker further afield in Yorkshire). Until 6 months ago I found myself on the "wrong track" with Thomas because of these namesakes.

Some details on the bio page match "my" Thomas (I am descended from his daughter Eliza Graham Walker, daughter of Charlotte Gregson), but other details don't match what I know so far (for example I believe my Thomas only had 3 children before leaving the UK). Are you a Walker descendant?

As soon as I am able I will try and pull apart what I know about the two Thomas Walkers and break it down in a post here. However this gives me some hope as I know "my" Thomas was indeed in NSW and I have found no record of him returning to the UK.

Thanks again and I hope to be able to dedicate some real time to this very soon.

Best Wishes

Caroline

Offline EstelleK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 01:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Caroline

I have the death certificate of Robert Walker - who was born in 1852 in Yorkshire and died in 1937 in Stratford, Taranaki, New Zealand. He is the son of John Walker and Jane Dawes.

John and Jane arrived in NZ on Oct 19 1855 on the barque Queen Margaret. The passenger list does not give their children.

The Thomas Walker death notice in 1868:
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/WC18680222.2.13?end_date=31-12-1868&items_per_page=50&query=thomas+walker&snippet=true&start_date=01-02-1868&title=FS%2cHC%2cMH%2cMS%2cMT%2cPAHH%2cRAMA%2cSNEWS%2cTAIDT%2cWC%2cWH%2cWOODEX
refers to a son John living at Aramoho. John's obituary is here: https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/MH19021206.2.15?end_date=31-12-1902&items_per_page=50&query=john+walker&snippet=true&start_date=01-01-1902&title=FS%2cHC%2cMH%2cMS%2cMT%2cPAHH%2cRAMA%2cSNEWS%2cTAIDT%2cWC%2cWH%2cWOODEX

Hopefully those links work - let me know if not and I'll send a screenshot of the items.

Regards
Carol

Offline EstelleK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 04:41 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Caroline - forgot to answer your question.

I am not a Walker descendent - I've been doing this for my "son-in-law" Cam.

Thomas Walker would be his 4th great grandfather (Cam's 94 year grandmother is still living).

Carol

Offline caroline_forster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 14 January 21 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol,

thanks for the newspaper links, they worked fine.

I'll try not to overload the details here but give a summary of what I know and where I have "gaps" to try and confirm if "my" Thomas is the one who ended up in NZ (Thomas Walker was a common name in the area).

I am descended from Eliza Graham Walker, daughter of Thomas and Charlotte, baptised 1828 in Thirsk (from her baptism record). Thomas is my 4x great grandfather.

In 1827 a Thomas Walker was involved in a slightly convoluted illegal game selling incident that led to a much earlier allegation of hay stealing (in 1820) being brought into play. It was for this hay stealing (and a more recent theft of geese) that he was transported to NSW in 1828 only a month after Eliza Graham Walkers baptism in Thirsk.

In the newspaper report of the trial there is mention of Thomas Walker living in Thirsk in 1828 (matches his daughters baptism at this time). He was described as keeping a public house 1 mile from Northallerton in 1820 when the hay stealing took place (using a single horse cart).

Thomas was convicted and transported for 14 years on the Lord Melville arriving NSW in 1829 and granted his Certificate of Freedom in 1843.

In 1835 back home in Yorkshire a petition was raised on behalf of Thomas and this includes some good information / clues:

"For 5 years prior to his marriage in 1819 he was a domestic servant at Thornton-Le-Moor" - Thomas married Charlotte Gregson Graham 22nd May 1819 in North Otterington, very close to Thornton-Le-Moor. Charlotte and Eliza were both in Thornton-Le-Moor on the 1841, 1851 and 1861 census'. Charlotte died there in 1866.

"his three children the oldest of which is not more than 13 years of age, and his wife who is an industrious respectable woman" - Not more than 13yrs old in 1835 would mean his eldest (surviving) child was born around 1822, and Eliza would have probably been the youngest being born just before his transportation. Charlotte was a school mistress.

Charlotte's death certificate 1866 describes her as "wife of Thomas Walker, Coachman". (Wife, not widow as had been used on previous census'. As I've learned on this forum she could be described as a "widow" due to the length of his sentence).

On the Geni page you directed me to Thomas is listed with a lot more children and I believe this may be the due to confusion over two or more Thomas Walker families back in the UK. I also believe there is an alternative birth date and place and set of parents for Thomas (George Walker and Jane Sherwood, Brompton by Northallerton 1789) but until I'm sure this is "my" Thomas Walker in NZ there is no point climbing back up the (potentially incorrect) tree.

I will try and firm up George and John as children of "my" Thomas and Charlotte but their names are very generic. I am given hope however by the fact that Georges daughters, according to this Geni site, are named Jane "Graham" Walker and "Charlotte" Maria Walker (linking back to Charlotte Gregson Graham).

I hope this makes some sense to you. I will contact the Profile Managers on Geni and see if they can shed some light on the movement of Thomas from NSW to NZ with his son John.

If it turns out that your "son in law" Cam and myself are from the same Thomas I would of course send you everything I have on Thomas but won't "spam" you with unnecessary information til things become more clear.

Thanks again and take care

Caroline

Offline caroline_forster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 17 January 21 04:04 GMT (UK) »
Dear RootsChatters,

An update on my search for Thomas Walker.

Carol pointed me in the direction of Geni page and after consulting with one of the profile managers all indications are that Thomas migrated to NZ around and died there in 1868.

So while his daughter, my ancestor Eliza, remained in the UK her two brothers moved to New Zealand in the 1850's and their father joined them there.

Of course there are still plenty of details for me to sort out but it seems that with your help I'm now on the right track.

I can't thank you all enough for the time and help you've given to this search. It's great to be able to make a step forward (or should I say back!) with my research and understanding of the family dynamics.

I hope to repay the favour, if not directly to the contributors on this post, then to other roots chatters in the future (always glad to help with Northumberland / North East England queries).

Thanks again and happy ancestor hunting,

Caroline

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 17 January 21 04:27 GMT (UK) »
This search has been fascinating and has kept us busy which is just how most of us like it.

You can repay us by up-dating your finds as they arise.

I just wish Rootschat researchers on other boards were as tenacious, co-operative and knowledgeable as those here on the Australia board.  The collaborative efforts often uncover superb information.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 17 January 21 05:08 GMT (UK) »
Excellent news.   What a great way to start this new decade.

JM.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 17 January 21 07:41 GMT (UK) »
Great news. Thanks for updating.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)