Author Topic: Thomas Walker, Convict freed 1843. What happened next?  (Read 3531 times)

Offline caroline_forster

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Walker, Convict freed 1843. What happened next?
« Reply #63 on: Friday 23 April 21 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

I just thought I'd give you an update to let you know that I've finally managed to confirm that the Thomas Walker who died in Wanganui, NZ, in 1868 was indeed my ancestor who was transported to NSW in 1828.

A cousin of mine here in the UK and a Walker descendant in NZ found a DNA match at the "expected level". And then in order to "dot the i's and cross the t's" the same Walker descendant in NZ acquired a death certificate for her ancestor, George Walker (son of Thomas) and this stated his mother's (maiden) name was Charlotte Greagson (the name of my 4xG-Grandmother).

As always there are still mysteries to chase, for example why Charlotte was baptised as Gregson but was known as Gregson Graham at the time of her marriage and passed the Graham name down through the family. More research into Thomas' crimes in the UK suggest that he went on a spree of thefts in 1827, eventually leading to his conviction so I will try and find if there were and particular circumstances that led him to do so.

But in terms of my original question, as to what happened to Thomas Walker after 1843, I finally know that he moved to NZ to live with his two sons, longed to be reunited with his wife and daughter, and died of old age in 1868.

Thanks again for all your wonderful help (and putting me in touch with a long lost branch of the family in NZ who had no idea of their convictions ancestry!).

Best Wishes

Caroline

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Walker, Convict freed 1843. What happened next?
« Reply #64 on: Saturday 24 April 21 00:57 BST (UK) »
Well found, Caroline.

Many thanks for letting us know the outcome of the searches - a puzzle solved, but more to find (as always)

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk