Author Topic: seeking death of....  (Read 2239 times)

Offline stod

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
seeking death of....
« on: Saturday 07 August 04 10:53 BST (UK) »
My great great grandmother, Helen Stoddart nee: Laird ( b: 1820 ) died sometime after 1881. She appears in that census as residing with her son in Falkirk, Stirling.   I, along with quite a few others, have tried to assist in this matter but have had no luck.

Helen's husband, Peter Stoddart died in 1875 afterwhich Helen moved in with    her son and daughter in law in Falkirk.

We, the helpers and I have been searching on and off for about three years but to no avail. Some of her children emigrated to Canada and Australia including the son she lived with in 1881 census.

However, Helen Stoddart / Laird definitely did not emigrate with any of her children as I have searched the particular ship's passenger lists..

NB   Peter Stoddartt and Helen Laird married in Larbert in 1838

Where could the problem lie? I am open to any suggestions and help.
Stoddart - Laird - Sharp - McAree - Brown -

Offline MrsLizzy

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: seeking death of....
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 August 04 15:45 BST (UK) »
Have you checked to see whether she remarried?  If her children had left for Canada etc, she may have been lonely.  Even if remarriage seems unlikely, it can still take place.  This would mean her death would have been registered in her new married name.
Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
Re: seeking death of....
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 August 04 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hiya,

In Scotland she would have been registered or at least indexed under her new name and her maiden name - we are very progressive up here ;)

BUT if she remarried and her children had flown the nest then the person registering may not have known her maiden name.  Another thing is that Helen is very often changed to Ellen in Scotland.

On http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ it will allow you to do Soundex searches and limit the death by age I would try both Helen and Ellen.  Also looking for marriages.  I don't have any credits at the moment sorry.

Pam
 ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!