Author Topic: Sidney George Blank  (Read 4528 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sidney George Blank
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 12 December 20 06:15 GMT (UK) »
William Henry Kinch born 1852 Newton Abbot
The names of his parents on his birth, and the 1861 census, are the exact same as recorded on his QLD death certificate.
Added: interesting to note his father's occupation is also a plasterer.
His marriage record will confirm, but should give you some background to Mary Maria
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 12 December 20 06:37 GMT (UK) »
Although the marriage between Naomi PARSONS and William Henry  KINCH was in 1903 as mentioned, their daughter was born well before that.

Beatrice Naomi PARSONS
Event date 17/08/1899
Reg1899/C/7162
Mother Naomi Parsons

Suggests to me that there was an obstacle to an earlier  marriage and that may well have been the existing marriage to PETHERBRIDGE.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 12 December 20 07:02 GMT (UK) »
Hey, good find Sue  :)

So I see now that William Kinch marries Naomi Parsons in Brisbane on 22- 8-1903.
That means that wife no.1, Mary was out of the picture by then - where? dead? divorced? run off to find Henry Blank in NSW?

We need that death cert. for Henry
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 12 December 20 07:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone.  So do we think that the ALICE Pethybridge on the various census and other records, daughter of Mary Grace Pethybridge, who remains a spinster throughout her life IS not the mother of Sydney George Blank-Pethybridge!! as that Alice died in 1945 okay.

Now we have the possibility of Sidney (no middle name on immigration record) being the stepson of William HINCH and son of Mary Maria A?? PETHYBRIDGE. 

I looked for a birth of a Sidney/Sydney George KINCH just to be sure there was only one on the free BDM site I use from here, no connection that I could see.

The only connection I can make to the Blank surname is from Sids marriage record!  No confirmation from any other source.

I imagine that there would be NO mention of the BLANK surname on Sids birth certificate!

"Findmypast has the transcription of a Newton Abbot workhouse birth:

born on 01/04/1880 a MALE child to MARY PETHERBRIDGE of TORMOHAM baptised on 29/04/1880 a child called SYDNEY GEORGE"

Question:-  Where does Findmypast copy their transcriptions from re the workhouse??  I will have to contact someone to see if there is any more information on this MARY Petherbridge.  Then Sid was given to the HAWKINS family according to the 1881 Census. 

Are there any details of Mary's other child to the other man??  Wow this is a head spinner for sure. 

Possibly William Henry and Mary/Alice ??? split up around the time that the Beatrice PARSONS was born to KINCH is that correct.  So Petherbridge has died or moved to NSW with Sid, that's all I can come up with at the moment.  LOL.  Thanks very much for all the input and ideas.  Dianna

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 12 December 20 07:26 GMT (UK) »
So do we think that the ALICE Pethybridge on the various census and other records, daughter of Mary Grace Pethybridge, who remains a spinster throughout her life IS not the mother of Sydney George Blank-Pethybridge!! as that Alice died in 1945 okay.
No this person is not anything to do with the family.
I believe Sid's mother is Mary Maria A Petherbridge. You need to get his birth registration.

I believe his father is Henry Blank - you need to get Henry's death certificate.

Mary Maria married William Kinch ( you need the marriage cert.), and they come to Brisbane with Sid in 1883.
Kinch remarries in 1903, so Mary and Sid are gone. We don't know yet what happens to Mary and Sid, until we find Sid's death in NSW.

Are there any details of Mary's other child to the other man??  Wow this is a head spinner for sure. 

I hesitate posting this - 'cos it might just add to the confusion or be red herring -- but you asked so here goes ......
There was a “Sydney Alfred Petherbridge” born 28-11-1876 in the St Marys Union Workhouse Plymouth.
His death is registered in Jan 1878 Plymouth – just over 1 year old.
Sydney Alfred’s baptism on 27-12-1876 gives parents as John and Mary. The father is “a gentleman”, but the address is Saltram Villas, Laira, Plymouth – and drilling down this appears to be the Pymouth Union children’s home.

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 12 December 20 07:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neale thanks for all of that LOL.  I guess I'll start with Henry Blanks death certificate or find other details on him if possible here.  It might not say much on it though as there may be no relatives here to give the necessary details.  Unless Sidney pops up to help.

With Sid's birth it may not help much if he is illegitimate right!!! No Dad will be mentioned! 

On an English marriage certificate only the father of the bride and groom are mentioned aren't they not the mother.

So why is there NO Mary Maria "A" PETHYBRIDGE on any census or did I miss something.  So Sid know's his mother as ALICE!!

Okay time to take a break I think.  Thanks so much.  Talk later I'm sure.  Dianna

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 12 December 20 16:28 GMT (UK) »
There is a baptism at Holne in 1856 for a Mary Maria Alice PETHERBRIDGE, dau of Frances Henday PETHERBRIDGE (born 1823). The 1861 census shows Mary Alice Maria PETHERBRIDGE, granddaughter of  William & Mary PETHERBRIDGE, living in Holne. Their single dau Frances is also shown, aged 38 b. Cornwood. Frances married Richard MILLS in 1863. In 1871, Richard & Frances MILLS are shown in Newton Abbot with a 14 year old daughter Mary P. MILLS, b. Holne. Does the P stand for Petherbridge?
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 12 December 20 19:15 GMT (UK) »
There’s a death of a William Henry Kinch 15/3/1914 in trove articles, Queensland.  Just thought I would throw that in.  I hope that the Newton Abbot poorhouse will have more on this Mary/Alice Petherbridge so I can hopefully marry all of this up. 

And who is this other child

"I also found a newspaper report of a Mary Maria Alice Pethbridge in 1877, alleging that one William Uglow had not been paying maintenance for his child by her. This is obviously not Sidney, but possibly a daughter b c1874 (from another newspaper report)."  Was this child born under Petherbridge or Uglow??? So many questions, I know.  Regards Dianna

Think you have a choice - neither have a mother's maiden name listed, suggested born out of wedlock

PETHEBRIDGE, MARY  ELIZABETH      
Q1 1873
NEWTON ABBOT  Volume 05B  Page 147

PETHBRIGE, ANNIE  GERTRUDE      
Q2  1875
NEWTON ABBOT  Volume 05B  Page 127

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 12 December 20 19:29 GMT (UK) »
[
I hesitate posting this - 'cos it might just add to the confusion or be red herring -- but you asked so here goes ......
There was a “Sydney Alfred Petherbridge” born 28-11-1876 in the St Marys Union Workhouse Plymouth.
His death is registered in Jan 1878 Plymouth – just over 1 year old.
Sydney Alfred’s baptism on 27-12-1876 gives parents as John and Mary. The father is “a gentleman”, but the address is Saltram Villas, Laira, Plymouth – and drilling down this appears to be the Pymouth Union children’s home.

PETHERBRIDGE, SYDNEY  ALFRED      
mmn BUDGE     
Q4 1876  D Quarter in PLYMPTON ST. MARY UNION  Volume 05B  Page 226

There's also a daughter born to this couple in the first quarter of 1876 and they can be found on the 1881 census