Author Topic: ancestry problems  (Read 1794 times)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
Re: ancestry problems
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 12 December 20 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Whilst we're reporting Ancestry problems/complaining (I'm certainly complaining, not accusing others of it...)

I've been recently doing some research surrounding Salford in Lancashire, and searching people with Salford, Lancashire as their birthplace.

When I go back to them, and click 'search' again, Ancestry - on its own - has changed all these birth entries to 'Manchester, Jamaica' and I think because of this reason defaults to All Collections, rather than the UK/Ireland I've had before.

Grrrr
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 12 December 20 14:22 GMT (UK) »
     Maybe Salford, Lancashire, England is better.     The Ancestry computer may be looking for the last word of the address to be the country.               

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 12 December 20 14:23 GMT (UK) »
     Maybe Salford, Lancashire, England is better.     The Ancestry computer may be looking for the last word of the address to be the country.               

I'll try that, although I THINK that's what I did anyway......
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Albufera32

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 12 December 20 14:38 GMT (UK) »
In a similar vein, I find that it can and does change Scottish counties such as "Lanark" into "Lanark County, Texas, USA." I've even had "Wishaw, Lanark, Scotland" become "Wishaw, Lanark, Scotland County, Texas, USA."

What I have found seems to work is writing "Lanarkshire" instead of just "Lanark." I draw the line at "Fifeshire" though.
Howie (Riccarton Ayrshire)
McNeil/ McNeill (Argyll)
Main (Airdrie Lanarkshire)
Grant (Lanarkshire and Bo'ness)
More (Lanarkshire)
Ure (Polmont)
Colligan (Lanarkshire)
Drinnan (New Zealand)

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 21 December 20 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Before interdependence, all my people came from India (HEIC, India Railway, shipping and civil service). When I search in India, Ancestry automatically includes Indiana. 

It doesn't matter if I include Bombay, Madras, Calcutta, Bangalore, Nassik in the search - Indiana is included. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 21 December 20 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Before interdependence, all my people came from India (HEIC, India Railway, shipping and civil service). When I search in India, Ancestry automatically includes Indiana. 

It doesn't matter if I include Bombay, Madras, Calcutta, Bangalore, Nassik in the search - Indiana is included. 

Regards 

Chas

Yes, it’s very irritating. I find it easy to narrow them down by going to the Filter box on the left, I click on Asia and the Indian results  come to the top of the list, the rest can then be ignored.

Personally, I find Findmypast better for  India research, they have original images.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 21 December 20 13:05 GMT (UK) »

Regards 

Chas

Yes, it’s very irritating. I find it easy to narrow them down by going to the Filter box on the left, I click on Asia and the Indian results  come to the top of the list, the rest can then be ignored.

Personally, I find Findmypast better for  India research, they have original images.
Oh, I agree Jebber. I started with FindMyPast when they had one of their Remembrance Weekend free access all areas. I downloaded over 90 documents (some with multiple pages) in less than 24 hours. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 21 December 20 16:32 GMT (UK) »
If you use the option to "Search on Ancestry" from the central "sources" column, it retains your previously chosen focus for collections (eg in my case by default I search Scotland first since the vast majority of my family are in Scotland). The same applies if you use the Search button from the options in the top left.

If you use the option under the facts for a person where it has options like "Possible Marriage Records" in a blue dotted box, with a green search box, it uses "all collections" - which also sets that as your chosen focus, so the other options will now show "all collections" as well.

So basically just avoid using the green search button in the person's facts, and it should keep your chosen focus for searches.

Thanks, that does work for me.

Also i find the site can be slow, and it sometimes takes forever to load up a profile for an ancestor in my tree.

While not a technical problem, Ancestry seem very slow at adding new bulk records. I await Suffolk records, but a huge bonus is that Suffolk FHS have made their transcription CD's downloadable, and I have bought some this way, makes the "chomping at the bits for Suffolk online records" not so "chomping at the bits" now as many have helped. They have all known Suffolk burials in a CD from 1538-1900 which I have bought plus many 1650-1837 baptisms.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline ms_canuck

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 25 December 20 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Anyone else ever get this screen?  I've had it a few times, and 3 times today alone!  I'm just trying to cleanup the Shoebox.  Nothing I can do, because the whole thing is greyed out.  I have to close my browser (Chrome) and occasionally only rebooting the PC seems to work.

search.ancestry.ca - Access Denied
Error code 15
This request was blocked by the security rules

2020-12-25 19:50:42 UTC
Your IP174.91.68.103|Proxy IP45.60.108.104(ID 10530-100)Origin Server IPX.X.X.148
Incident ID: 530000320193525513-497589132555585546

We’ve detected an abnormally high volume of traffic on our site. To let us know you’re a human and not a BOT, please pass the above security test. We’ll remember your response and won’t show you this security check again.

Ah well.... Merry Christmas RootsChatters

Ms_C (going into severe lockdown as of Boxing Day here in Ontario - equiv. to Tier 4)
1. Paul - Guernsey 1801
2. Ettenton / Eltenton - Guernsey 1806