Author Topic: Ill-fitting masks  (Read 3836 times)

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ill-fitting masks
« Reply #54 on: Friday 11 December 20 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Yes you have misunderstood as no I am not saying that.  I am saying that I don't throw the disposable ones after only a few minutes wear, neither do I wash the others after every use.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 11 December 20 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Surely it depends where and for how long you've worn the mask? If it's a couple of minutes just popping into a shop, I wouldn't throw it away or wash it. However if I'd been in a crowded place or on public transport or worn it for an hour or more, I would.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 11 December 20 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Yes thats really what I am questioning.  I got the impression from reading some of the earlier posts that once worn they were disposed of or washed and I was interested to see if people were doing that after say, only 10 minutes wear.  I am not and it sounds as if you are not either.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Online Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 11 December 20 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Initially I had disposable masks but then went to cloth ones when I realised we were in for the long haul.  I've found a maker whose masks are really comfortable, as there is plenty of room at the front - they stand out from the face - so they're easy to wear, three layer, with adjustable straps, and I don't end up eating mask if I have a conversation with someone.  Another plus is that I can wear mask and specs and the specs don't mist up.  As daughter and I have a shop I spend four hours in there on some days of the week.  I am masked and behind a plastic screen and surrounded by goodly supplies of antibac and wipes.  Obviously after that the mask goes straight into the wash.  However I agree, that with a short trip I will wear a mask more than once.

I should add - for those who don't know - that daughter and I are both diagnosed as having contracted covid whilst she was seriously ill in hospital earlier in the year. She was due life-saving surgery at the end of March which was postponed, but she eventually had surgery in August.  Thank goodness she has now fully recovered from both.  I'm on a waiting list for lung capacity tests as I was struggling a bit a few weeks ago but hopefully have turned the corner now.  Don't think of covid as anything like fiu - it's not.  It makes your lungs feel as though they are coated with ground glass.  Not nice.  Stay safe everyone.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 11 December 20 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Initially I had disposable masks but then went to cloth ones when I realised we were in for the long haul.  I've found a maker whose masks are really comfortable, as there is plenty of room at the front - they stand out from the face - so they're easy to wear, three layer, with adjustable straps, and I don't end up eating mask if I have a conversation with someone.  Another plus is that I can wear mask and specs and the specs don't mist up.  As daughter and I have a shop I spend four hours in there on some days of the week.  I am masked and behind a plastic screen and surrounded by goodly supplies of antibac and wipes.  Obviously after that the mask goes straight into the wash.  However I agree, that with a short trip I will wear a mask more than once.

I should add - for those who don't know - that daughter and I are both diagnosed as having contracted covid whilst she was seriously ill in hospital earlier in the year. She was due life-saving surgery at the end of March which was postponed, but she eventually had surgery in August.  Thank goodness she has now fully recovered from both.  I'm on a waiting list for lung capacity tests as I was struggling a bit a few weeks ago but hopefully have turned the corner now.  Don't think of covid as anything like fiu - it's not.  It makes your lungs feel as though they are coated with ground glass.  Not nice.  Stay safe everyone.

It makes your lungs look like ground glass too, we refer to the image on x-rays as ground glass opacities.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Online Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 11 December 20 23:30 GMT (UK) »
That's really interesting Pharma.  When I was first getting that pain  I tried to think what it felt like and thought perhaps it felt like rough sandpaper.  And then eventually I decided it wasn't sandpaper, it felt as though the back of my lungs were lined with ground glass.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Saturday 12 December 20 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Sounds really nasty GS and I hope you get your lung capacity test soon.
I’m very pleased to hear that your daughter has made a good recovery and hope you will too soon.
I have made over 1100+ face coverings in various designs for local charities in the group I’m involved with and I’ve certainly found using three layers is preferable and a nose wire which can be pinched in to bring it very close in meaning wearing glasses is less problematic. Also ones where the sides come in line with the cheek bone at the side and narrowed  with nice soft elastic. Think of a scallop shell and that would be a good description ...it means it fits close to the face and no gaps. It covers the nose well and fits neatly under chin and doesn’t ride up if you’re talking....
I wear mine more than once if I’ve only had it on for a moment or two but if it’s for longer say half an hour it gets washed...
Likewise shopping non perishable sits on a bench in my garage for three days, perishable pkts get washed and other items reboxed... all post sits in the porch for three days too unless it looks important as do packages.
It amazes me how many people just walk straight past sanitisers for hands and baskets/trolleys when going into a food shop... I want to say something ... I’ve been sorely tempted but you never know what reaction you’ll get! 
I do wonder why people don’t think covering their noses isn’t important too... and why don’t they tighten the elastic if they slip down or find one that fits better!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Saturday 12 December 20 08:38 GMT (UK) »
I'm of the wear it once and wash it persuasion, but hand sanitizer at shop entrances I'm not sure about.  If it's a trip to just one shop and the first "foreign" object I've touched since leaving home, might I not pick up more germs than I kill off?
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Saturday 12 December 20 08:45 GMT (UK) »
I'm of the wear it once and wash it persuasion, but hand sanitizer at shop entrances I'm not sure about.  If it's a trip to just one shop and the first "foreign" object I've touched since leaving home, might I not pick up more germs than I kill off?
It's not just about keeping you safe though - it's to stop you spreading virus to other people and objects in the shop. Even if you think your hands aren't carrying virus, you can't be sure.