Author Topic: 1939 Register transcription  (Read 477 times)

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1939 Register transcription
« on: Friday 11 December 20 02:20 GMT (UK) »
 ::)
I have just located another of the Hazlewood/Hazelwood family in this register and had to look twice at the transcription of the occupation. It read 'Tank attendant swage perfection'
The original reads 'Tank attendant sewage purification'.
Am guessing that the transcriber was not English.
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Register transcription
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 December 20 08:07 GMT (UK) »
They could be forgiven for transcribing swage but purification is clearly written. 

I wonder whether it was just a case of not 'remembering' purification between reading it and transcribing and not double checking afterwards.  I must admit that it is not a job that I would have liked doing.  I am not convinced that nationality would have been the reason.

ADDED. Looking at that page good luck to anyone transcribing it correctly as although it is generally clear what is written the enumerator wrote ornately, a squiggle at the beginning of names beginning with 'W' look more like 'eW'
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk