Author Topic: Aston Hall Children's Annexe for RJAH Oswestry 1950s  (Read 1706 times)

Offline Champsrun

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Aston Hall Children's Annexe for RJAH Oswestry 1950s
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 February 21 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Here are two photos my husband assures me are small enough to post!
They show the beds out in the snow! Patients being visited by Father Christmas and someone dressed as a Christmas angel. Sadly these photos have no information about the year, or who is on them and my Mum has no memory of names except for Sister Powell. I hope they help with your memories Gwenan. I will upload photos of staff members as soon as my husband gets them reduced in size.

Online sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 February 21 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Champsrun,

Welcome to Rootschat :)

I am very sorry but the files attached are showing as empty, if you look at the size they are showing as 0 kb.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Champsrun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 February 21 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Trying again to post pictures

Offline Gwenan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 February 21 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Great Pictures and they bring back memories.  We were out all weathers and when our hair was washed in icy weather, it would freeze on our heads. I don't remember every feeling cold or having a cold.  Thank you very much for the photos.

Offline Michael Roberts

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 23 March 21 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gwenan, I was a patient in Aston Hall from June 1948 to June1950. I was 3 at the time and to this day I can still recall being left at the War Memorial Hospital in Wrexham and taken to the main hospital in Gobowen. I have a faint recollection of a fire at Gobowen and the children being taken to Aston Hall. Not sure of the timing but I think it was only days as the first visit from my mother was at Aston Hall.
I had Perthes in the left hip and as a consequence was on a steel frame until a month before going home. All my memories of Aston Hall are fun ones, I think there were about 20 children at the time and I know that I was the youngest(my mum told me that and also I was the one who got into the most trouble). To this day I keep clear of geese after many a time spent outside doing “solitary “ for being naughty.
I think Sister Johnson was the fun sister and Sister Powell the boss, they did a fantastic job.
I was one of the lucky ones, I made a full recovery and have led a very active life and have never forgotten Aston Hall. I was brought up in Pentre Broughton a small village outside Wrexham which was only three bus rides and a walk down the driveway for visitors, some of the children in the ward came from the south of England, I had visitors at least twice a week.
I have lived in Sydney Australia since 1973 but have visited home many times and since retiring in 2005 have managed almost one visit each year. In 2018 I went back to Aston Hall and was allowed to walk around the grounds, it was just as I remembered it.
Unfortunately I don’t have any photos of my time there, I think my mum had a big cleanup one day but I still have my happy memories.
I hope this will trigger some of yours, keep safe from COVID-19,
Regards Mike Roberts

Offline Caroline Cantor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 02 June 21 15:15 BST (UK) »
My uncle, Peter Vile, was a patient at Aston Hall from 1946 to 1949, and then went back regularly for further treatment and follow ups. Funnily enough he now lives in Sydney, as Michael Roberts does! He has lots of happy memories from his time there and hopes to put down some of his memories in writing for me to post here at some point in the future. I also have some photos of him there which I will dig out and try to post here.
Best wishes
Caroline Cantor