Author Topic: Death notices  (Read 762 times)

Offline danieloftyne

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death notices
« on: Saturday 12 December 20 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone of you lovely people find me a death notice from Newcastle evening chronicle for a James owen parker  died 3rd quarter 1964 buried in Heaton and byker cemetery I'm looking for his grave    thank you in advance
Walton, Jones, Parker, Tipping,Nicholson, morrow,young,arrowsmith,Elliott, Anderson, ring rose, scrimshaw,hogarth,stewart

Online JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death notices
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 December 20 15:36 GMT (UK) »
James owen parker  died 3rd quarter 1964 buried in Heaton and byker cemetery I'm looking for his grave   

The section and grave number are on the burial register
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QHV-L3VC-R9KM?i=764&cat=828200

If you don't have a FS account it just takes moments to do and doesn't cost anything.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline danieloftyne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 December 20 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you jen much appreciated I've got a fs account but don't know how to access these films I was also looking for Thomas Hill Nicholson  died 30/11/1929 would have been buried on 3/12/1929  can't find that either
Walton, Jones, Parker, Tipping,Nicholson, morrow,young,arrowsmith,Elliott, Anderson, ring rose, scrimshaw,hogarth,stewart

Online JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 December 20 16:46 GMT (UK) »
You need to go to Catalog search https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog and enter the place name.

If there is a camera icon beside the record you’re interested in and it hasn’t got a key over it then it’s viewable at home.

Here is the page for Heaton https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/results?count=20&placeId=19364&query=%2Bplace%3A%22England%2C%20Northumberland%2C%20Heaton%22 and clicking on Cemeteries brings up the available records.

Unfortunately the burial register for 1929 isn’t there. His name appears on the A-Z index to burials but that doesn’t give the section and plot number.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 December 20 16:55 GMT (UK) »
I've got a fs account but don't know how to access these films

Sign into Family Search

Click on the word Search along the top of the page, from the drop down list choose t search the catalogue
The form defaults to searching for a place name. Put Heaton in the box and choose England, Northumberland, Heaton from the drop down list that appears.
that brings up a list of each type of record they hold for this place
Expand the section that says Cemeteries and there are two items listed

The first in the list looks most likely to be what you want, so click on that line
It brings up this page:
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/828200?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Read the list carefully, note anything that mentions an item number (means that there are possibly other records on the same film so you need to navigate through the film to find the right section).
Any item in that list that has a camera icon (without a key above it) will, if you click on the icon, take you to images from that film.

Its the same procedure for any place name in the world. Takes a bit of time (and a bit of getting used to) but can pay dividends.

Sadly they don't have registers for 1929, but the index says your Thomas Hill Nicholson's details will be in the register entry 32462
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QHV-L3VC-P4VJ?i=543&cat=828200

and Tyne and Wear Archives will have the missing registers on microfilm. When they are open again you can either visit and look for yourself or order a copy of the entry from them (there will be a feee for that)

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 December 20 16:57 GMT (UK) »
and JenB has said the same thing  - much more concisely than I did :-)

Boo

Offline danieloftyne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 December 20 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for educating me and much appreciated you know what they say you learn something new every day thanks once again

Online JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 12 December 20 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for educating me and much appreciated you know what they say you learn something new every day thanks once again

The world is your oyster now...a treasure trove of records awaits you (except the one you need for Thomas Hill Nicholson)  :D

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 December 20 17:31 GMT (UK) »

The world is your oyster now...a treasure trove of records awaits you (except the one you need for Thomas Hill Nicholson)  :D

but  - now that danieloftyne has the register entry number, he can either get the details free (if/when he can visit TWAS) OR if he cant visit, some kind soul may do a look up when they visit much easier when you can supply the entry number
Even if he has to request a copy from TWAS, it is cheaper to place a copy request than it is to ask them to find it for you without the entry number as that would fall into the category of a 'research' request.

So FS comes up trumps yet again :-)

Boo