Author Topic: Two surnames for husband in GRO record: why?  (Read 925 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Two surnames for husband in GRO record: why?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 December 20 23:38 GMT (UK) »
If there is any doubt about letters or names then each will be transcribed separately to ensure all possibilities are covered. Each will have the same reference.

I don't think this helps the query.
If there was any doubt about the surname should there not have been an annotation to denote such on the cert. the OP has?
If there's no annotation & he's indexed under both surnames this (I think) would say he'd been using 2 different surnames at different times.
However, the wording of 'or' isn't something I've seen, it's usually 'previously' or 'formerly' or 'Alias'.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 December 20 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure it is the husband who has two surnames, and not two surnames for his spouse? Did he marry in Leicester district to Blanche M. ..... If so she is shown with two surnames, which might indicate widow or divorcee

Further research on the Leicester Thomas G, shows he was likely to have been born in 1917 and died in 1992. Blanche was born in in 1921 and died in 2013. Records of her birth and previous marriage to  a Mr B....n are easily found.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 December 20 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Thomas G L....n  was born in Scotland. His middle name (given in full on death reg) gave me the clue he was from Scotland
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 December 20 10:27 GMT (UK) »

Without seeing the entry it isn't possible to say - but it would normally  be that the marriage register entry has two surnames recorded for the individual ( e.g. Brown otherwise Lennon) - but they would be indexed separately under each surname.

Yes, I have found Blanche is indexed as two separate marriage entries: under her maiden name and her first married name. There is no note or anything in the index to connect them to the same person. In second case forename is mis-spelt as Blance.

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for GG Grandad... Must have GSH
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 17 December 20 21:39 GMT (UK) »
If there is any doubt about letters or names then each will be transcribed separately to ensure all possibilities are covered. Each will have the same reference.

I don't think this helps the query.
If there was any doubt about the surname should there not have been an annotation to denote such on the cert. the OP has?
If there's no annotation & he's indexed under both surnames this (I think) would say he'd been using 2 different surnames at different times.
However, the wording of 'or' isn't something I've seen, it's usually 'previously' or 'formerly' or 'Alias'.

Annie

Sorry I was not sufficiently clear Annie. If the Indexer was not sure about the surname eg. Burton or Barton, then he would create an index entry for each, thus ensuring the GRO could find the certificate should a copy be required. There would be no entry or note made on the certificate itself.
Without knowing the 2 surnames, I am just making a suggestion that this may be the case.

Colin

ADDED: There seems to be some confusion as to whether there are 2 separate entries for each surname, or a single entry with both names but I've never seen one like that.

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 17 December 20 22:14 GMT (UK) »

ADDED: There seems to be some confusion as to whether there are 2 separate entries for each surname, or a single entry with both names but I've never seen one like that.

In the example I mentioned in earlier response the index has Thomas G. L....n and the spouses surname associated with it says "H.... OR  B.....n "
The wife has two entries in each of the two surnames.