Author Topic: Anne Elizabeth Evans - "Bessie" - Henllan, Denbigshire  (Read 933 times)

Offline Sassenach73

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anne Elizabeth Evans - "Bessie" - Henllan, Denbigshire
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 December 20 00:50 GMT (UK) »
There's an Ann Eliz Roberts on 1939 with a very near dob (29th not 19th) and one child with a name that fits your info, in South Wales

Ancestry is pointing me at this marriage

Ann E Evans
John E Roberts
Q2 1923
St  Asaph Vol    11b p627

Excellent!  Thank you Mabel and Milliepede,  very much,  for both your time and information!  Its been driving me mad all weekend lol  :D

Offline oldfogie64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 24 January 23 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello...I am so happy to connect with this thread.....I am researching my family tree and we have bumped into each other.It is very complicated but I will try to explain....Elinor Evans who married John had a maiden name of 'Brown' as I do.....I am from the Browns,in fact Elinor Evans/Brown had sisters Elizabeth(who also married an Evans....Robert in fact....very difficult to trace her),Sarah(who died young) plus William(who married,had a lot of children in Oswestry) and finally Richard(my great grandfather)...so Elinor one of five siblings....then I know I think what you know up to 1911...they had  nine children in total,based in Henllan,and Bessie the youngest was still at Bryn Meirion in 1921 with her mother and one other young man called Harry Tudor Williams a 16 year old from London.My now deceased distant cousin left some handwritten notes that says that Bessie married Iowerth Roberts...he was an insurance agent in Cardiff and they had two children,Gareth who went into the merchant navy and seller and Roger,whose daughter Deborah Stuart Roberts was a professional singer and I have an hazy old press clipping about her!......enough for now....I am trying to find out what happened to Bessie's other eight siblings.....it is very difficult without Census post 1921 privacy restrictions....so if you can provide any help please let me know....I am checking more info about Elinor's line of the family at the moment and have some anecdotal info but it is incomplete......Please let me know what you know...I am so happy to have found someone doing what I am doing.....I have become a bit obsessive TBH to find out all the details I can...it is like a mystery puuzzle trying to put it all together but I love it....but it can be frustrating too...!!

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 January 23 14:26 GMT (UK) »
First, a very warm welcome to Rootschat. Hopefully, Sassenach73 will be alerted to your post and respond.
Have you checked Welsh newspapers and Welsh Journals yet?

Welsh Journals  -  https://journals.library.wales
Click on link and pop "laura evans williams" in Search (include the "   " as part of search key) and hit Search. It will return 10 hits -  there are 4 in English, 6 in Welsh. Click on "Cyfrol3 ... pobl" for a picture of Laura.

Welsh newspapers - https://newspapers.library.wales
Again, click on link and pop "laura evans williams" in Search. It returns hundreds of hits (not all necessarily "your" Laura). This covers the period 1910-1919. You can work thru' the snippets to determine if it is of interest. For example, if you tab to page 2 (of 53) there is an item "On Leave" which refers to Laura's brother.

pob lŵc

Offline oldfogie64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 24 January 23 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply......doing research this morning....Laura Evans-Williams was a professional singer who lived for a time in Elstree plus a number of different addresses in London....lots more to find out on the other 8 children! Thanks for your suggestions....

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 24 January 23 16:00 GMT (UK) »
There is so much out there for Laura - particularly the on line newspapers (FindMyPast/British Newspaper Archive).
The link I gave you for Welsh Newspapers has items for 2 of her brothers under her search key - see (a) page 7 (of 53) "Soldier's splendid work"  (b) page 17 (of 53) "Henllan".

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 24 January 23 16:42 GMT (UK) »
See also "Page 26/Behind firing line; Page 26/Family notices (death of her hubby);Page 37/Weekly work (when she changed her name); Page 38/Local Wan Incidents; Page 45/Musical notes".

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 24 January 23 16:54 GMT (UK) »
The change of name explains why "hits" only appeared from 1909 searching under "Laura Evans Williams". Checking under "Laura Evans" only 1900-1909 delivers her wedding amongst other things.

Offline oldfogie64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 24 January 23 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Very Many thanks.....yes Stanley Evans death in WW1.....the details always make these things so much more visceral as we look back....and for Laura I have found some details about her two children but no grandchildren as far as I can see.....I can find an entry which I think is for Laura's death in 1944...her husband in 1917 I think but there are references in this thread to 1920 so maybe I am wrong......still more routing around to come....many thanks again....may I ask your interest in all this,do you have a family connection in here somewhere?....Best Wishes

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 24 January 23 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Y Baner ac Amserau Cymru, 15 April 1916 carries the death notice (in Welsh) -

Deaths
Williams - In London, at the end of the week, after a long illness, Mr Robert Thomas Williams, formerly of Henllan, ... Madame Laura Evans Williams has been left with 2 young children ... Mr Williams was about about 42 years old ...".

No interest in the family - responding to threads/posts is what this site is about.