Author Topic: Giving the gift of Covid-19 this Christmas  (Read 5613 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Giving the gift of Covid-19 this Christmas
« Reply #45 on: Friday 08 January 21 17:15 GMT (UK) »
I see today's deaths are the highest so far. I'm not surprised as we are 14 days from Christmas, so not unexpected. Everyone knew it would happen.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 08 January 21 23:00 GMT (UK) »
I see today's deaths are the highest so far. I'm not surprised as we are 14 days from Christmas, so not unexpected. Everyone knew it would happen.

That will just be covid new infections peaking just now :(.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 09 January 21 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the shape of the graph, it doesn't look like it's peaking - it looks like it's still going up like a rocket.

The figures are absolutely staggering.

As I type this, two people are having a natter on the street below, speaking really loudly, stood close facing each other. The steam from their breaths enveloping each other.
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 09 January 21 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the shape of the graph, it doesn't look like it's peaking - it looks like it's still going up like a rocket.

The figures are absolutely staggering.

As I type this, two people are having a natter on the street below, speaking really loudly, stood close facing each other. The steam from their breaths enveloping each other.

People just don'tget it Trystan.

The incubation period is 5-14 days so those infected on Christmas Day would start showing symptoms up until yesterday. Unfortunately many would have been very infectious on Hogmany and many had albeit illegal parties then so there could be another week to go until it peaks.  That's providing measures work but many are still completely ignoring them.  Yesterday I read several accounts of people testing positive then going out because they didn't feel that bad so they didn't see why they should.  I know I'm being selfish but it infuriates me as prolongs it for all of us. 

Unfortunately hospitalisation figures lag behind case figures by about a week so they won't peak for at least 2 weeks.  They will have a very high level to come down from so i cannot see us being able to life restrictions in February.  :'(
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 09 January 21 11:35 GMT (UK) »
May I please say a special Thank You to PharmaT .... not just from me, but more importantly from several non RChatters who follow threads, mainly on the Australia board, but also right across the public boards.  They are my ancient, living rellies, some are 100 years plus, some are a tad younger ... so in their 90s,....   BUT .... they are my reliable knowledge base on all things NSW genealogical.

Several have diverted their attention and focus to the sensibleness of PharmaT's  detailed posts especially on Covid matters,  and I have been instructed to send a private message of "Well Done" ... 

Now,  instead, I have chosen to partly disobey my elders, and instead I post in this open, public forum,  as I think that is a better option.

Yes, PharmaT may be embarrassed by this praise.....  but her blush will be hidden by her face mask,  so I  trust it is safe to post :

Thanks PharmaT,  well done, keep up the explanations, we hear your clear words here in New South Wales, and JMs ancient rellies heed them.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 09 January 21 14:38 GMT (UK) »
majm, pharmaT.  I agree totally with majm's reply. I want to add my thanks to PharmaT for the clear explanations she's provided for us over the months and for what she does in her job.
Pharma, I was trying to explain to someone yesterday what you wrote in reply 48.
 Respect, Pharma! Stay strong.
Cowban

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 09 January 21 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks from me too PharmaT, it's good to have clear explanations from someone 'at the sharp end' who knows the facts.

And by the way, it is definitely not you who is being selfish.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 09 January 21 18:52 GMT (UK) »
It’s always good to have someone who knows what’s what and working at the shop edge to give us good information...

so it’s a thank you from me too PharmaT for all your wise words...

You are NOT being selfish in any way we all feel the same... that’s what RC family is!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK