Author Topic: Way to find out a child's parents without ordering a birth certificate?  (Read 2399 times)

Offline 1931census

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Way to find out a child's parents without ordering a birth certificate?
« on: Tuesday 22 December 20 12:26 GMT (UK) »
I believe that one of my ancestors may have had an illegitimate son, but I have no conclusive evidence that the child is related to them (as in there is evidence, but nothing concrete). He died at 3 years old and only existed between censuses. I haven't been able to find a baptismal record for him. I don't really have the ability to be paying for certificates right now - is there any other way at all I could find out if the child is related to my family or not?

Online Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Way to find out a child's parents without ordering a birth certificate?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 December 20 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

When was this child born?  If it was between 1837 and 1934 you can search the GRO online index by using the surname and mother's maiden name.

If you haven't used the GRO before you will need to register then go to the Search the GRO online indexes.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 December 20 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked to see if you can find the child's birth:
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

I know mother's maiden name has been relatively recently added to the index but I am not sure of time frames for listing this, (nor have you mentioned the year your ancestor had the illegitimate child).

Added: snap GG. :)

Online Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 December 20 13:26 GMT (UK) »
If you would like to give us the child's name and year of birth, perhaps we can help you find him.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 December 20 16:39 GMT (UK) »
My first point of call would be FreeBMD to search for his birth name and year of birth.  From there go to GRO to see whether there is a mother's maiden name.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 December 20 16:48 GMT (UK) »
My first point of call would be FreeBMD to search for his birth name and year of birth.  From there go to GRO to see whether there is a mother's maiden name.

Welcome to Rootschat:

Me too...then follow it up by looking at the deaths 3 years later to see if there is a match in area.

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline 1931census

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 December 20 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

When was this child born?  If it was between 1837 and 1934 you can search the GRO online index by using the surname and mother's maiden name.

If you haven't used the GRO before you will need to register then go to the Search the GRO online indexes.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Hey, sorry, I should have been clearer. The child (Frederick William Scott Gatty, born D Quarter of 1884 in Lambeth; died J Quarter of 1887 in Camberwell) would be an illegitimate son of my female ancestor - her surname was Gatty. The record for Frederick has no mother's maiden name listed, which I believe usually indicates the mother's maiden name and the child's surname were one and the same. I found this using the GRO index. I've been looking into it and I do think I'll have to order a certificate. Sorry again for the misunderstanding!

Offline 1931census

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 December 20 17:59 GMT (UK) »

Hey, sorry, I should have been clearer. I have records for both his birth and death, found on the GRO index. The son (Frederick William Scott Gatty, born D Quarter of 1884 in Lambeth; died J Quarter of 1887 in Camberwell) would be an illegitimate son of a female relative of an ancestor - her surname was Gatty. The record for Frederick has no mother's maiden name listed, which I believe usually indicates the mother's maiden name and the child's surname were one and the same. I've been looking into it and I do think I'll have to order a certificate. Sorry again for the misunderstanding!

Offline 1931census

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 December 20 18:39 GMT (UK) »
If you would like to give us the child's name and year of birth, perhaps we can help you find him.

Hey, sorry, I should have been clearer. I have records for both his birth and death (Frederick William Scott Gatty, born D Quarter of 1884 in Lambeth; died J Quarter of 1887 in Camberwell), found on the GRO index. The issue is to whether he is related to my female ancestor (whose surname was Gatty), as I didn't hear of her having an illegitimate child before this. The record for Frederick has no mother's maiden name listed, which I believe usually indicates the mother's maiden name and the child's surname were one and the same. I've been looking into it and I do think I'll have to order a certificate. Sorry again for the misunderstanding!