Author Topic: A 1950s Christmas...Ho! Ho! Ho!  (Read 2145 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A 1950s Christmas...Ho! Ho! Ho!
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 December 20 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Great to hear how Christmas things are being saved and reused  8) I have a selection of tree decorations from both of our parents, when glass tree decorations were the norm and from when we were first married also tree decorations made by the children and Grandchildren, precious memories  :D :D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 December 20 19:22 GMT (UK) »

Do you remember paper chains and twisted crepe paper garlands?

Oh yes, and I remember pressing the foil milk bottle tops over the top of a lemon squeezer to make bells, putting a thread of cotton on, to hang on tree.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 23 December 20 19:28 GMT (UK) »

Do you remember paper chains and twisted crepe paper garlands?

Oh yes, and I remember pressing the foil milk bottle tops over the top of a lemon squeezer to make bells, putting a thread of cotton on, to hang on tree.

I don`t remember making bells, although I "can" remember pressing milk bottle tops for something!!!
My sister and I used to make both paper chains and twist crepe paper for trimmings, I still love that expression.

We also had some other trimmings which were some sort of shiny coloured paper which had a line of  machine stitch along the centre. When these were put up they were also twisted.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 23 December 20 19:38 GMT (UK) »
My mum saved sweet wrappers that we twisted  in bows on the tree,  can't remember having lights on the tree  but we used to have lights around the mantle piece, with the lights and a real  fire it lit up the room, no need to put lights on sometimes,  had gas till we were about 15.
LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 23 December 20 19:40 GMT (UK) »
When lead foil tinsel was banned in around 1960, my father went out and bought several boxes so we'd always be supplied; he didn't like the plastic stuff which always got a static electric charge.  When we took the tree down, we always carefully saved the tinsel for next year.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 23 December 20 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Some great memories coming through, we had paper garlands strung across the ceiling from each corner to the ceiling rose, dipped in the middle with balloons or a paper lantern and lametta was thrown over the garlands. I always got the job of creating a winter scene around the bottom of the tree with cotton wool decorated with ornaments from previous Christmas cakes, a sledge, post box, Santa and sleigh, robins etc. I put a round compact mirror on the cotton wool pulled up around the edges to create a pond, then sprinkled the whole scene with glitter :D
We made Christmas tags cut from used Christmas cards and threaded them with coloured ribbon.
Great memories.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 24 December 20 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Dolls for girls, bicycles for boys - but what to give that special woman in your life?

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 24 December 20 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Ah yes what memories although mine are more in the 1960's.  I certainly remember making paper chains and hoping they would stay stuck together.  I think you could get multicoloured crepe paper streamers as well as one colour ones.

One Christmas tree decoration I remember was a bird that was attached to the tree by a spring clip.  I can't remember if it was a robin or some other one. 

I can remember those paper decorations that opened out to make a shape e.g. a bell. I think later they were replaced with foil ones.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 24 December 20 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Mike, I'd feel like a divorce if I was that 'special woman'.  ;)

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner