Author Topic: Irregular marriages  (Read 421 times)

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Irregular marriages
« on: Wednesday 23 December 20 14:31 GMT (UK) »
I understand about 'irregular' marriages in the Borders.  What I do not get is, why would a couple who participate in an 'irregular' marriage then have all their children baptised in the CoE?  This has happened a few times in one of my family lines in Northumberland and it seems a little strange that they would travel up to Lamberton Toll to marry and then have all their children baptised in Alnwick, where they lived and where they were - in the main - born.  Or am I missing something here?
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Irregular marriages
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 December 20 14:38 GMT (UK) »
If the baptisms were prior to civil registration then many people had their children perhaps baptised in the religion of their choice but also requested that they be entered in the baptism registers of the Established Church as that was the only 'official' record of their birth. (some may have fibbed and had them 'baptised' in both)

It may at some stage in their lives be essential to prove they were born within the parish or Poor Law district.

Boo

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 December 20 09:06 GMT (UK) »
The age of consent was different in Scotland than in England in the 1700-1800 I believe

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Legally they could have their children baptised locally but before 1837 only Church of England marriages could be held. Non-Conformist marriages could only be held over the Border.

If your non-Conformists were baptising their children in the local C of E, there was probably no alternative chapel nearby.

As Ticketty Boo mentioned, if you fell on hard times and needed parish relief, you had to prove your birth or marriage parish. The only proof was usually a C of E register entry. No other parish was responsible for helping you, so you would be sent back to your original parish for poor relief.

Gen in NBL UK
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE