Author Topic: Unusual middle names. Any ideas of why?  (Read 2408 times)

Offline danieloftyne

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual middle names. Any ideas of why?
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi creasegirl septimus i believe means seven so septimus usually meant seventh son i might be wrong i often am according to my ex wife 😂😂
Walton, Jones, Parker, Tipping,Nicholson, morrow,young,arrowsmith,Elliott, Anderson, ring rose, scrimshaw,hogarth,stewart

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 16:04 GMT (UK) »
In my tree I have a man whose master gave him permission to marry before completing his apprenticeship.   A condition for this was that they gave their first child his surname as a middle name.

I have another one who was given the local minister's name as a middle name.  His father was a big fan of this dissenting minister and was open about how he chose his son's name.

I have another one who was named after the Great uncle's wife.  Not 100% sure why.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Creasegirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Danieloftyne yes I think it was used for that but have seen weird names used like lancelot in throckley as well.
Saw you had elliot in your names as bottom and just checking your elliot's weren't from Haydon and didnt marry into my watson family from throckley
Ferguson (st fillans, comrie)
Garnock (lothian, fife)
Valet (london, switzerland)
Butcher (ramsgate, glasgow)
Blackbird (durham,  newcastle)
Barr (ayrshire, ireland)
Fleming (paisley)
Crone, croney ,(dumfriesshire, ireland)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 16:29 GMT (UK) »
A friend of mine had an aunt whose forename was Mafeking.  And I once had a boyfriend whose middle names were Shakespeare Ruskin. 

As far as my family is concerned, I'm still trying to find a connection with "Owen" - the middle name of my father and his uncle.  The family had a history of incorporating ancestors' surnames into forenames.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 17:04 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother's first and middle names were the first and last names of her parents' first landlady in Canada (they had emigrated from Scotland). I can imagine someone in the future spending a lot of time trying (and failing) to find an ancestor with those names.

My great-grandmother gave one of her sons an unusual middle name. It turned out to be her aunt's married surname. I later learned that my great-grandmother's son's first and middle names were the first and last names of her aunt's son who died in early childhood. He must have been a favoured cousin of my great-grandmother. I only learned of this when I visited the cemetery where the aunt, etc., were buried and saw the inscription for her son.

Someone in my tree had three unusual given names; this full string of names was used in two different generations of the family. I only discovered where the names came from after I was able to push this family line back three generations, learned of another family surname, and tracked the various branches of that family as far as I could.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 17:52 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if this was just a local custom -- but a 7th son of a 7th son was normally named Doctor. I have no idea why.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline danieloftyne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 18:38 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if this was just a local custom -- but a 7th son of a 7th son was normally named Doctor. I have no idea why.
maybe septimus septimus was too much of a mouthful  :D
Walton, Jones, Parker, Tipping,Nicholson, morrow,young,arrowsmith,Elliott, Anderson, ring rose, scrimshaw,hogarth,stewart

Offline danieloftyne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Crease girl ooh I'm not sure if those elliots are from Haydon I havnt got too far into that bit yet 

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 19:03 GMT (UK) »
There are also a lot of children born in 1887 and in 1897 who were given the middle name 'Jubilee'.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk